12 weeks and NO eggs

EELover

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
I don't know what to do. About 12 weeks ago, my chickens started molting which was fine because I expected it. I know that a molt is supposed to last about 6-8 weeks long. About 2 weeks ago I started getting 2 eggs a day (out of 12) and then 1 week ago it stopped. We have hardly gotten any snow. There is only about 10 1/2 hours of sunlight a day. Most of their combs are red. Could it be the sunlight or the lack of snow or something else? Feed isn't cheap and it feels like I'm throwing my money away. What do I do?

Most hens need about 14-16 hours of light per day to keep them in production. Maybe adding extra light in the mornings to up their total light hours will help.

Last edited:
You may need to add some more protein to their diet. If they are recovering from a molt then they are still growing feathers. Feather require more protein to grow then laying eggs. I would try adding some Calf Manna to their feed. You can also try adding some Diatomaouis Earth this helps as well. Both can be found at either your local feed store or Tractor Supply Company (TCS) I have had great results using both of these on my chickens. I will actually add both tp their daily feed year round. Good luck and just be patiencet. They will start again.

Back
Top Bottom