12 weeks olds - Is one a Welsummer/CL

esimmons14

Songster
8 Years
Mar 19, 2015
Hi everyone! I am sending one of my 12 week old pullets off to a friend and I need help deciding. I wish I knew if one of these came from our Welsummer hen (with Cream Legbar dad). To any of you who have hatched this mix, do any of these look similar?
Also, check out pictures 3&4 (it's the same one)- this one has the biggest and reddest comb but still doesn't look rooster-ish enough for 12 weeks - what do you think?

The last one is likely from the Welsummer. And either the Cream Legbar is not really a cream Legbar, or the rest are males that had 'silver' hens for mothers. Cream is a recessive gene that dilutes red/gold coloring. He should not have produced birds that are mostly black and white.

Most of these are Rhodebar x CCL. I wouldn't describe their coloring as black & white, maybe it's the lighting? Most of them have quite a bit of salmon/light red feathering, but there is one anomaly who doesn't. We also had a Rhodebar rooster that could have possibly snuck in some DNA, but that would really explain any of the coloring I don't think. I am really looking forward to seeing the egg colors.

The birds with white neck feathers, and black patterning through those feathers, are genetically silver. If you are correct about the parentage, silver should not be showing up. Cream dilutes gold/red color, but it's recessive, taking two copies to express. I'm thinking that your 'Cream Legbar' might not actually be a cream Legbar...
From a genetics standpoint, those birds should all look like the last bird, more or less.

Hi everyone! I am sending one of my 12 week old pullets off to a friend and I need help deciding. I wish I knew if one of these came from our Welsummer hen (with Cream Legbar dad). To any of you who have hatched this mix, do any of these look similar?
Also, check out pictures 3&4 (it's the same one)- this one has the biggest and reddest comb but still doesn't look rooster-ish enough for 12 weeks - what do you think?

The bottom one is welsummer I breed these

Back
Top Bottom