12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize eggs for incubation could be washed. I thought I read they can't be washed or it'll take the film off the outside that helps them hatch. How did you wash them? I have two more eggs I'd like to put in the incubator today but somehow the girls pooped in the nest and got it on the eggs and I'd love to wash that off before putting them in the incubator. 😅
We all have our own theories and studies on why and how to do things. You can wipe the poop off with a paper towel, or you can gently wash the egg in hot-ish water. Not scalding, about 110*F .

Took this from BYC fb. Maybe it was one that someone here posted..?? Here it is........... Tell me you’re a chicken farmer without telling me you’re a chicken farmer. I’ll go first!
FB_IMG_1615754986891.jpg

I didn't realize eggs for incubation could be washed. I thought I read they can't be washed or it'll take the film off the outside that helps them hatch. How did you wash them? I have two more eggs I'd like to put in the incubator today but somehow the girls pooped in the nest and got it on the eggs and I'd love to wash that off before putting them in the incubator. 😅
I'm one not to wash. I flick off something if it's...really sticking out there. 😆

She started grabbing little leaves and throwing them ontop of herself
This is the cutest! :love
I didn't realize eggs for incubation could be washed. I thought I read they can't be washed or it'll take the film off the outside that helps them hatch
It doesn't help and it can decrease hatch.. should only be done IF needed.

There are not many hard fast rules.. other than what works for you! Everything else is suggestions. ;)

That's aside from needing fertile eggs of course and keeping within GENERAL guidelines.

I swear I heard peeping. :caf Incubating is very hard on me. :lol:
Me too! :barnie

But I really heard them..

There's 12 in the brooder now from last week, tomorrow's hatch already has a chick a day early TODAY, moments ago! :ya

Same as last week's which I already turned both my bator and hatcher down a half degree).. Must adjust more.. since it can't possibly be both the Cemani AND the lavender Wyandotte lines hatching a day early consistently ONLY since the new bator was implemented.. and running a half degree warmer (101.1) than where the prior NR360 (99.5 factory preset) which hatched them ALL on day 21 from the same parent stock.. now that I've thought through in front of y'all. :D

Must go turn eggs.. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom