15-16 week old chicken with lame leg

BookWormDenise

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
East Texas
Jean is a 15-16 week old Polish chicken who started limping badly on Sunday. She was not wanting to put weight on her right leg. I have no idea what happened to her. She was in a separate area with only 2 other Polish hens, but she’s kind of a runt and definitely lowest in the pecking order.

I uploaded a video of her limping here…

Jean limping on Sunday

I brought her inside and put her in a dog crate so I could watch her, get her out of the heat, and so she wouldn’t get picked on. She has a great appetite and is drinking water. Her poop looks normal, no diarrhea.

6E59C0FE-A80C-4855-8EFD-952862EA8714.jpeg

I took her to the vet on Monday afternoon. He did not feel anything broken or dislocated and couldn’t find anything obviously wrong with her, except that her temperature was 105. Jean only weighed 1.25 pounds and he noted that she’s skinny. He said maybe she just pulled something or that it could be bad genetics. He gave her a shot of Convenia (antibiotic), a vitamin B-12 injection, a vitamin A&D injection, a dose of ivermectin, and rimadyl (1/16 of a 25mg chewable once a day). They did a fecal examination and saw no parasites. He said I could try a hobble to try to help get her right leg back under her body where it’s supposed to be instead of splayed out to the side.

After I gave the vet a bunch of money and went home to set up a chicken hospital area in my laundry room, I thought of a bunch of questions I forgot to ask.

Can an almost-adult chicken get splay leg like a chick? If so, can it be fixed?

Can a genetic problem manifest overnight at 16 weeks old?

Is keeping her confined the right thing to do?

Is the hobble the right thing to do?

How long should I try the hobble before giving up? Does my hobble look right?

Are the toes on her right foot curled? If so, do I need to make a splint for them?

How long would a sprain or some such leg injury take to heal?

Besides the daily rimadyl dose, I’m putting Rooster Booster vitamins and electrolytes with lacto bacillus and Rooster Booster liquid B-12 in her water. I’ve also been feeding her scrambled eggs as treats, although not very much — I think it’s taken her 3 days to eat one egg. She is still enthusiastically eating and drinking.

I bought Jean and the buff Polish (Lottie) in the video together as 6-week-old pullets from MPC, and I’ve always thought Jean in particular was scrawny and sometimes seemed unsteady, like sometimes she’d kind of sway and rock back on her knees before taking off. They were shipped to me a week late because they were dealing with heat stress, but I think our humid Texas heat has been rougher on them than the ones I raised from day-old chicks (also from MPC -- this is my first flock). Jean and Lottie are supposed to be one week older than the rest of my flock. My intention was for these two Polish to be friends for my single black Polish (Chickabiddy) who was at one time getting picked on by all the rest of my “normal” chicks. I figured since Jean and Lottie were a week older than my birds, they’d be bigger and could get their bluff in. Ha! What a rookie I am. These birds were about half the size of my birds, and Lottie had been severely pecked. They were petrified of people, wouldn’t go near any type of food except the starter/grower feed, didn’t know how to roost — to me it seemed like they didn’t know how to be chickens. I kept them in a separate area of the run with the hope of fattening them up so that maybe once they‘re all grown, I could integrate them into the main flock, or integrate Chickabiddy in with them to make a separate, small flock (hubby agreed to build a second coop a while back).

Here is Jean’s hospital room…

0D40944C-054C-48A7-A3D2-C14D300F39B4.jpeg

This is my latest hobble attempt…

398A5F80-3103-4B8E-AEFC-413C87E76C71.jpeg

C5A3AA39-B8CC-4A74-B362-B1986DAB526E.jpeg

C8A5B357-6D92-419F-99FD-8B4010C63E82.jpeg

2B5D34A6-FB37-4C13-AE67-EE1449F1A901.jpeg

3EE6B848-119C-4A3F-A5A7-0DBC8C9AF3E7.jpeg

E4471484-7A1F-4D53-9216-0FDC62B4CD3E.jpeg

If you read this far, many thanks for your time. If you have any advice or experience to share with me, Jean and I would be most grateful.

P. S. Jean doesn’t hate me anymore. She will eat from my hand, and I gave her a bath tonight and blow-dried her feathers, a first for both of us. ;)

0E35543B-E5E7-47F6-A3A3-54E9DB6270DB.jpeg

Wow, you're doing a great job! Can you check her leg again to see it any bruising showed up since you found her? I would also keep giving her b complex vitamins. 1/2 a pill a day, the full spectrum of B12. Is she eating anything else? An egg on two days isn't enough. Can you see if she'll eat a raw yolk? Do you have any grubs?

I would like to suggest a sling. Keeps them out of their mess and is gentle on their body.
Screenshot_20210114-093114_Chrome.jpg

20201001_115518_1.gif

Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

What are you feeding her? She appears to be a bantam. Bantams should be small. Feel her keel. What would it rate on this chart?
hredirect2 (3).jpeg

Thank you both for responding!

Jean is eating DuMOR Chick Starter/Grower 20% Poultry Feed from Tractor Supply. I just offered the scrambled eggs as a treat. I will try the raw egg — just the yolk or mix it up? In a bowl?

I looked at the grocery store for B complex vitamins but all the ones I saw had a bunch of other vitamins included as well so I didn’t get them. Is that ok? Or should I look for one on Amazon that is just B?

She is vaccinated for Marek’s and something called MG.

I don’t see any bruising.

I had to look up some chicken anatomy diagrams to figure out what the keel is. I think her sternum is sticking out so I think she’s a 1 on the chart. I’m planning to take my daughter with me after her nap out to the main chicken flock, and I’ll try to feel of some of them for comparison. I have a Fleur d’Uccle bantam rooster — I’ll try to catch him and feel his keel for comparison.

DFDCEEFD-1639-4DBF-BF4D-AD88C4CF3FF1.jpeg

I tried a makeshift sling (will have to make a trip to Lowe’s to look for those nice 3-way pipe joints). She keeps trying to get up and hop around, though. I’m afraid she’ll get hung up in the mesh so I didn’t leave her.

748E5616-27EC-4FDE-9EB1-25DFBAE65F86.jpeg

I left her leg loose after that. I was talking to a friend who is a nursing home manager and who has been around chickens a little. She thought that the hobble might be forcing her to put weight on her leg that she’s not ready for yet and that it might be better to let her hold it out to the side or do whatever makes her feel better. Is that sound logic?

94F0BA8B-EB07-401B-8169-78FF55022E7B.jpeg

As long as the vitamins had a range of b vitamins that would work, below is one you can get cheaply at Wal Mart

The video of her walking makes me think she does have a sprain or a strain of her leg. If you feel the healthy leg to the bum leg do you feel any difference? Is there a spot that feels spongy on the bum leg?

Give her straight raw yolk, they love it. Mine fight over it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220903-165948.png
    Screenshot_20220903-165948.png
    902.4 KB · Views: 3
I will get those vitamins at Walmart tomorrow — thank you!!

She liked the egg yolk! I held her cuddled close to my chest while she ate it, and she was so funny. She ate/sipped a couple bites, then she wanted to wipe her beak off (my shirt worked best until I got a washcloth to help her). And then she’d take another bite, wipe her beak, take a bite, wipe, and so on until she got all she wanted (maybe half the yolk). Then I flipped her on her back so I could feel of her legs. She got really relaxed and seemed to fall asleep.

24E01074-0352-445F-8F29-E208BA025EE5.jpeg

I couldn’t identify anything really different between the good leg and the bum leg, but then I have no idea what I’m doing! When she is totally relaxed, that bum leg wants to go off to the side. While I was trying to feel for sponginess, I tried to gently move the bum leg back in position like the other one but there’s some kind of resistance preventing it.

I hope my hobbling attempts have not made things worse for Jean. Compared to my video from Sunday, she’s putting even less weight on the bum leg and holding it out to the side more.

I tried to catch Charlie the bantam rooster but he was having none of it. I felt some other chickens and thought they felt like had a little more meat on them but I’m not even sure if I’m feeling the right part? In my previous post, there’s a picture of Jean on her back with my hand on her belly showing a pink spot — I think that’s her sternum protruding? Is it supposed to stick out knobbly like that?

Our local feed store has black soldier larvae, I don't think I've seen TSC carry that.

Haha! Yes, mine do that too, or they'll shake their heads and then get yolk droplets on me.

Sometimes with injuries they get worse before they get better. Have her rest in the small space, but above all make sure she's eating. I have a really skinny RIR, but she's healthy, layers are generally thinner. I wouldn't worry about it, I would just make sure she's eating whatever she wants to eat. Then when her appetite picks up give her the regular chicken feed.

Have you introduced any birds into your flock that are not vaccinated or from a hatchery?

You're doing great with her!

As long as the vitamins had a range of b vitamins that would work, below is one you can get cheaply at Wal Mart

The video of her walking makes me think she does have a sprain or a strain of her leg. If you feel the healthy leg to the bum leg do you feel any difference? Is there a spot that feels spongy on the bum leg?

Give her straight raw yolk, they love it. Mine figh

Back
Top Bottom