15 new "ornamental layers"... what are they?

jaslyman

Chirping
Mar 12, 2016
From McMurray's: "We are now offering a special combination of chicks from our Rarest of Rare Assortment and Top Hat Special which will be FEMALE BABY CHICKS! Nothing like this is available anywhere else in the world! Imagine buying such things as Cochins, Campines, Red Caps, the exotic Polish varieties, and many many more in pullets only. Best of all: you can buy this ORNAMENTAL LAYER COLLECTION and save money! We are putting a special price on these female baby chicks much lower than what you'd have to pay to get them individually. We guarantee you at least 8 different kinds in each order of 25. (Our choice) If you are short of space, or don't like to hear roosters crowing but still want the most unusual of the world's exotic poultry breeds, try our ORNAMENTAL LAYER COLLECTION.The supply of these is limited so please order them as early as possible."

What do you think we have?

Do they have feathered feet? If so how many do and which ones? The you have an individual picture of looks like an Easter Egger. I think I see a Barred Rock in there and maybe a few Australorps that may just be Black Cochins if they have feathered feet. Could you get individual pictures??

Build yourself a little three sided photo "box" and take individual shots of each bird so that the entire bird can be seen from the side - this will allow us to see the legs as well as get a better idea of what each inidivudal chick looks like so we can help you ID them. Top shots are a start, but only go so far.

Thanks for the responses so far! Will definitely try to get better pics. Looking on the McMurray's website, I'm pretty sure at least a few are Black Cochins.

Hopefully these pics are more helpful. Any thoughts on what they are?

close-ups of 3 different chicks

Last edited:
Following this! We've always known what chicks we were getting in the past but this year we decided to do it differently. I'd love to know what you end up with breed wise...please keep sharing pics! My order of ornamental layers is due next week and I'm excited to see what we get :)

We have a few brown ones that are especially soft and fluffy and have furry feet. Pardon all my scientific terms. The last pic above is one of them. Any ideas what it could be?

hmmm.... the pics on McMurray's site (https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/partridge_cochins.html) don't look too much like our brown ones... I'll see if I can post a better pic  Ours have areas of darker brown and lighter brown but no black 

Chick colors can vary a bit? Try googling "partridge cochin chick" and see if you can see some photos that are close. I would guess that it's some sort of cochin or brahma, but I'm not sure if brahmas have quite as much feathering on their legs, I have never had any brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom