15 week old roosters mounting and killing other roosters.

chevgrl

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Western Iowa
I have about 100+ roosters that are going crazy they have picked out a few weak non dominant roosters in the bunch and mount them, fight over mounting it and the weak rooster eventually cant fight them and they will just have to take it from all the rest. Im having a hard time preventing it. And have too mamy injured that im taking care of. These guys are free ranging dual purpose birds that are to be butchered in 2 weeks. Any ideas on preventing this activity.

It has been one thing after the other with these guys... be just conquered a vit B deficiency. And a few are still recovering from leg problems.

I would just take the less dominate ones out and move them some where else. I would also clip their beaks a bit. For the more aggressive roosters clip their wings so they won't be able to harass the others as easily. I doubt the roosters have spurs but if they do make them blunt so they will be less likely to injure another rooster. I personally think you should consider caponizing any other rooster you get in the future. It should elimanate this problem all together. Hope this helps you.

This round maybe too late but next time rear cockerels under direction of a fully adult gamecock, or even another fully adult rooster that is in good health.

Normally such behavior would not result in mortality. Do you see evidence of cannibalism?

What is dietary protein level?

The plan was to try my hand at caponing about 15 just to see. I worked several years as a head trauma tech and the Nebraska medical ce.ter. so im used to. Lood and stuff. (Even though i know there isnt much blood envolved ) ut time got away from me. Arent they too old to do it now? I have a capon kit.

The plan was to try my hand at caponing about 15 just to see. I worked several years as a head trauma tech and the Nebraska medical ce.ter. so im used to. Lood and stuff. (Even though i know there isnt much blood envolved ) ut time got away from me. Arent they too old to do it now? I have a capon kit.
I have no experience with castration beyond hogs, cattle and horses. Best to pursue that issue in another thread / search.

At 15 weeks, a testosterone surge is underway and should be transient. Older rooster would have suppressed that but not practical this go around.

Ideas I have a not proven but may redirect behavior of dominants. Scatter some scratch grains about to give somethig to do. Re-arrange structures in run area so they feel like in new location. This will keep them on edge and maybe less likely to abuse subordinates. Disperse feeders so they are not so densely packed.

I did my three( was four) capons at four weeks old. I will be doing about 22 more in a few weeks. Yours are probably way too old. I would just practice on a few of the ones you butcher first. BTW it is much easier to figure out where to cut open the skin on the younger birds than the ones you will be butchering.

I have no experience with castration beyond hogs, cattle and horses.  Best to pursue that issue in another thread / search.

At 15 weeks, a testosterone surge is underway and should be transient.  Older rooster would have suppressed that but not practical this go around.

Ideas I have a not proven but may redirect behavior of dominants.  Scatter some scratch grains about to give somethig to do.  Re-arrange structures in run area so they feel like in new location.  This will keep them on edge and maybe less likely to abuse subordinates.  Disperse feeders so they are not so densely packed.

Hey again! What u said about vit B was spot on i still have 2 more that are recovering in a separate pen but the 3that were the worst are all back to normal! There isn't much i can do in there pen... my breeding roo keep it quiet in the yard but they wont go in the youngsters inclosures. I see nw how that would be an excellent idea.

Back
Top Bottom