15 week old, updated, sexing

question: are the 2 obvious cockerals big enough to eat at 12 weeks? if not when? as 1 is crowing already. thanks for the help really need it this is my first time with chickens and so slaughtering the cockerals with be an experience i wont forget. and also of the 2 chickens in the pictures i recently posted, if i could get confirmation which one is a roo/hen that would be handy dont want to slaughter a hen and keep a roo lol. cheers si

If your biggest problem is them crowing/fighting, slaughter them when they become a problem. I plan to slaughter one roo at a time as they become obvious/cause problems, or all by 18 weeks unless I fall madly in love with one of them.

At 12 weeks pullets may start to get pinkish combs, but any with significant wattle growth are almost definitely roos. I have several rocks and I believe RIR and speckled sussed have similar comb development. Wattles do not grow and redden on pullets until almost 16 weeks, and any significant comb growth before that time is very unlikely as well...

However, if you don't want to accidentally eat your girls, like I said, wait on it. Around this time the boys should be growing in their hackle and saddle feathers, which will come in shiny and very slender/pointed. They should be noticeable quite soon, so keep posting pictures.

If your biggest problem is them crowing/fighting, slaughter them when they become a problem. I plan to slaughter one roo at a time as they become obvious/cause problems, or all by 18 weeks unless I fall madly in love with one of them.

At 12 weeks pullets may start to get pinkish combs, but any with significant wattle growth are almost definitely roos. I have several rocks and I believe RIR and speckled sussed have similar comb development. Wattles do not grow and redden on pullets until almost 16 weeks, and any significant comb growth before that time is very unlikely as well...

However, if you don't want to accidentally eat your girls, like I said, wait on it. Around this time the boys should be growing in their hackle and saddle feathers, which will come in shiny and very slender/pointed. They should be noticeable quite soon, so keep posting pictures.

ye the roo's are fighting and starting to bleed a little well rir is bleeding because of the rock showing he's boss but its the rir thats crowing even tho he's now number 2 to the rock. the rock is a little bigger should i kill him first or the noisy rir? do you think the other rir is a roo thats the last pic i posted? it does like a play fight and is a little cocky :( allways thought it was a hen.

these 2 are roo's or pullets? just over 15weeks old. cheers.

Last edited:
your reds definatly look likr roos... i cant tell with the darker ones. Maybe try to get close ups of them all?

Back
Top Bottom