15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Pics
Have 17 Bresse eggs in an NR360 that were due to hatch for Easter and I went to candle them today. The temp on the NR360 was showing 99.5, but the eggs were cold. The top of the incubator was warm, but the bottom where the eggs were was cold. I don't know when it happened, but the fan wasn't working. I candled five of them and none was showing any development.

On the chance that they just hadn't gotten warm enough to start the incubation process, I've put them into another incubator, just in case. This means I won't have an Easter hatch, but I won't mind so much as long as the eggs still hatch at some point...even if it's just a couple of them (I always try to be a "glass half full" kinda girl).

Have 17 Bresse eggs in an NR360 that were due to hatch for Easter and I went to candle them today. The temp on the NR360 was showing 99.5, but the eggs were cold. The top of the incubator was warm, but the bottom where the eggs were was cold. I don't know when it happened, but the fan wasn't working. I candled five of them and none was showing any development.

On the chance that they just hadn't gotten warm enough to start the incubation process, I've put them into another incubator, just in case. This means I won't have an Easter hatch, but I won't mind so much as long as the eggs still hatch at some point...even if it's just a couple of them (I always try to be a "glass half full" kinda girl).
Chances are good they will hatch in the second incubator.

Oh no! But it's only been, what, 8 days? They should be ok still, if delayed a bit, so glad you put them into another incubator.

Having a hatch this weekend, those eggs are in the incubator ( two pips right now! A day early , and their Broody Momma Nutmeg is sitting on the eggs that are for the Easter hatch. Easter hatch has a dismal viability rate, absolutely dismal. Either the roosters are not doing their job, or the particular hens avoided them.

But I guess it's good in a way, because I got "too many" chicks from the feed store, so I'm up to my gills in broody mommas and chicks wrangling. I have chicks the first broody didn't accept, so I had to set up a brooder... I don't want to put the first momma out yet because it's cold.
I really hope that I can tuck the two itty bitty store bantam chicks under Nutmeg, tomorrow. She was starting to cluck, so I had to move her where she couldn't hear the feed store chicks! She knows it is soon for her own brood, I'm like, "Not yet, not yet!" I don't want some of the others that will hatch a day or so later "Left Behind".

10 for sure viable eggs in Incubator A, there’s a few more but with the thick shells I have to check again a few others again just to be sure. It’s all blue eggs in that one!

I finally got all my eggs set for this hatch-along and boy oh boy I hope everyone is ready for the updates on them all!

Good luck to everyone who is participating in this hatch-along and those that already have some close to hatching!! I love following along with everyone’s updates :pop

Back
Top Bottom