15th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Pics
Having a hatch this weekend, those eggs are in the incubator ( two pips right now! A day early , and their Broody Momma Nutmeg is sitting on the eggs that are for the Easter hatch. Easter hatch has a dismal viability rate, absolutely dismal. Either the roosters are not doing their job, or the particular hens avoided them.

But I guess it's good in a way, because I got "too many" chicks from the feed store, so I'm up to my gills in broody mommas and chicks wrangling. I have chicks the first broody didn't accept, so I had to set up a brooder... I don't want to put the first momma out yet because it's cold.
I really hope that I can tuck the two itty bitty store bantam chicks under Nutmeg, tomorrow. She was starting to cluck, so I had to move her where she couldn't hear the feed store chicks! She knows it is soon for her own brood, I'm like, "Not yet, not yet!" I don't want some of the others that will hatch a day or so later "Left Behind".
The ones that do hatch will be extra special Easter chicks ;)

10 for sure viable eggs in Incubator A, there’s a few more but with the thick shells I have to check again a few others again just to be sure. It’s all blue eggs in that one!

I finally got all my eggs set for this hatch-along and boy oh boy I hope everyone is ready for the updates on them all!

Good luck to everyone who is participating in this hatch-along and those that already have some close to hatching!! I love following along with everyone’s updates :pop
I love a good update (with pics too!) can't wait to see/hear about all the spring peepers (pippers? lol)

I set 22 eggs from our barnyard last Saturday. One white egg was infertile and another egg had a blood ring so down to 20. This is only my second hatch so I am still learning what to look for when candling. I have a lot of blues and olives so it has been a challenge to see much.

I have a NR360. Last hatch I put my govee thermometers in cells on the outside ring. This hatch I put one in the middle and the temp seems to stay around 98 degrees with the outside 99.8. I have been moving the thermometers around it am surprised at how cold the middle and inside row are compared to the outside ring is. We are talking about inches apart and this seems weird to me. Hopefully this hatch will be as successful as my first one. My first hatch I set 15 eggs and removed 2 infertiles and 2 quitters. Had one additional egg not hatch. Ended up with 10 chicks.

Looking forward to following everyone’s progress.

This morning I candled. 7 did not make the cut. So we have. 53.
34A360DB-D6B0-44FB-B46B-0793DF5CFCDB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom