16 week Buff Orpington Cockerel or Pullet???

swmalone

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Northern Utah
Ok, we are worried that our princess buttercup may become prince buttercup. This has been our favorite chicken but unfortunately where we live if it turns out to be a male we will have to relocate him. The reason I'm asking is we have two other chickens (black australorp and black sex link) all the same age and their combs and waddles are no where near as developed. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/Volumes/XACTI /DCIM/100SANYO/SANY0428.JPG

[img]/Volumes/XACTI /DCIM/100SANYO/SANY0430.JPG

I hope the pictures work. I am not sure I put them in properly. If not if someone could advise on that as well I would appreciate it.

Sooo did Princess buttercup end up being a prince? I was on the fence about one of my BO. I have 2-one is very obviously a pullet but the other one...well I was unsure until this morning when he mounted one of my other hens. I'd say that's sufficient evidence. lol He doesn't have those tail feathers yet and he doesn't crow....but he is by far more aggressive than all other 5 birds that I have.

Okay I figured it out. Please let me know if you would like additional pictures.

98212_sany0428.jpg

98212_sany0430.jpg

All 3 are 16 weeks old but only the orpington has such a developed comb and waddle. I tried to tell by saddle feathers and to me those appear to be the feathers of a pullet. In the second picture you can kinda see the head of one of the others and the comb and waddle are so much smaller and lighter in color that is what has me questioning.

Thanks.

I'm not sure but did want to say that my BO roo, who is only 12 wks, has a larger comb than that and already looks very roo-ish.

Back
Top Bottom