16 week Buff Orpington Cockerel or Pullet???

swmalone

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Northern Utah
Ok, we are worried that our princess buttercup may become prince buttercup. This has been our favorite chicken but unfortunately where we live if it turns out to be a male we will have to relocate him. The reason I'm asking is we have two other chickens (black australorp and black sex link) all the same age and their combs and waddles are no where near as developed. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/Volumes/XACTI /DCIM/100SANYO/SANY0428.JPG

[img]/Volumes/XACTI /DCIM/100SANYO/SANY0430.JPG

I hope the pictures work. I am not sure I put them in properly. If not if someone could advise on that as well I would appreciate it.

Okay I figured it out. Please let me know if you would like additional pictures.

98212_sany0428.jpg

98212_sany0430.jpg

All 3 are 16 weeks old but only the orpington has such a developed comb and waddle. I tried to tell by saddle feathers and to me those appear to be the feathers of a pullet. In the second picture you can kinda see the head of one of the others and the comb and waddle are so much smaller and lighter in color that is what has me questioning.

Thanks.

I'm not sure but did want to say that my BO roo, who is only 12 wks, has a larger comb than that and already looks very roo-ish.

So far you guys are making me feel a lot better. My wife will be heart broken if princess buttercup turns into prince. The comb and waddle have only been that large and bright for about a week or so.

Deff a pullet! She should be laying soon too!
big_smile.png

ETA: There are no saddle feathers, or hackle feathers. That is a POL (point of lay) comb and waddles for a hen! The little cockerel in the other post, you can see his saddle feathers coming in and looks boyish to me.

Last edited:
Uh oh I'm starting to get mixed results. I would say that buttercup looked like your pullet at about 11 or 12 weeks of age. All of my chickens appear quite a bit more developed than the picture above, granted they are 3 different breeds and 16 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom