18 plus birds suddenly plagued with bumblefoot. I've never had a single case before. Affecting many

Switch to white shavings if possible dump the pine just a hunch
White shavings? What do you mean by white shavings? Is it something I could get in Georgia? Is it something that is going to be price practical? We have about 40 birds and 20 in the broader. I would love to know what had caused this. I have never had issues with pine shaving. The birds have been on them their whole lives. I've never had a case of bumblefoot. Now it's rampant. I'm trying to figure out why. I need to keep this from happening again.

The new photos look more like bumblefoot. Thankfully most of them don't look too severe.

I actually do prefer to do surgery even with milder cases though with this many birds that's going to get overwhelming fast. For the most mild cases I'd just go for a warm epsom salt soak for now. For the more noticeable ones you might need to treat one or two birds at a time (soak, removal of the scab and plug, bandage) and get those cases mostly under control, and then move on to another one or two. Since none of the cases look severe they don't need to all be treated immediately but of course you don't want them to worsen either.
All of this is overwhelming. I have never had a single case! These all show up at the same time. I need help figuring out what is causing the bumblefoot. Nothing has changed. In fact, I added a lower perch in my coop because of the addition of a bantam about 6 weeks ago. Am I missing something. Do you think maybe they are vitamin deficient? That is unlikely since they free- range right? Could it be mites? Their legs looks good, but I did have a girl from auction who I've been eating for leg mites. Could fungus be eating holes and letting in the Staph? Maybe that could account for the black discoloration I am seeing on their legs, nails and feet? That is my best guess. I am at a loss.

All of this is overwhelming. I have never had a single case! These all show up at the same time. I need help figuring out what is causing the bumblefoot. Nothing has changed. In fact, I added a lower perch in my coop because of the addition of a bantam about 6 weeks ago. Am I missing something. Do you think maybe they are vitamin deficient? That is unlikely since they free- range right? Could it be mites? Their legs looks good, but I did have a girl from auction who I've been eating for leg mites. Could fungus be eating holes and letting in the Staph? Maybe that could account for the black discoloration I am seeing on their legs, nails and feet? That is my best guess. I am at a loss.
You might try burning off the ground in the run, or spreading ash in the run area. I suggested burning to sterilize the area and hopefully eliminate any possible pathogens that could cause this. It also reduces the parasite eggs and larvae in the soil and keeps animals healthier.

I don't know what the cause is, but it may help!

You might try burning off the ground in the run, or spreading ash in the run area. I suggested burning to sterilize the area and hopefully eliminate any possible pathogens that could cause this. It also reduces the parasite eggs and larvae in the soil and keeps animals healthier.

I don't know what the cause is, but it may help!
That's not a bad idea! We don't really use a run, but it might be worth it to do it in high traffic areas like where they are fed. Thank you dokie the suggestion!

Crowing? Or crowding? I have 10 birds in this coop. We have a total of 12 coops on the farm. We are growing out chicks
20190602_111024.jpg
to replace the ones that were eaten by a fox a few months ago as well as to replace some that no longer lay.

The newre Photoes do show bumbels. Is it possible a Nail has workt loose in a place they all have to travel, such as the pop Hole?
Come to think of it.... are there grasses or plants in your yard with stickers? Like those awful goatheads or something else spikey?

I don’t see anything too terrible. Are any of the chickens limping or holding up a leg? I got some really sharp pine shavings last year for my coop, and worried that those might cause small cuts. When there is a large outbreak of footpad dermatitis or pododermatitus in large poultry operations, sometimes the cause can be the droppings. A high pH in droppings, higher amounts of soy in the feed, or wet conditions can increase the likelihood of bumblefoot.
Here are some good articles to read about bumblefoot causes:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/contact-dermatitis-hock-burn-pododermatitis

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/bumblefoot

Back
Top Bottom