19 hens 2 eggs

luckydawn

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2015
Hudson Valley NY
4 batches of this years chicks made a flock of 19 hens 2 roos and a guinnea hen. They are in an 8 x 16 shed with 1/2 roosting and 1/2 food water and supplies. They are all mature now an im getting 2 eggs a day. Cleaned the coop, checked the feed, they free range about 2 hrs a day and have a 10 x 30 covered run. Seem happy but no eggs. Ideas?

How old? What breeds? What are you feeding?
Mixed breeds, 2 cokoo marans, 3silver wing and 1gold wing wyandotes, 1buff orpington, 2 white leghorn, 2 asa brown, 5 americauna, 1welsommer. Feeding purina, or dumore, flock block, scratch and scraps and several hours freeranging every day. I did loose 4 hens, 3 orps and an asa brown and 1 roo about 6 weeks ago. Don't know still what got them. They seem healthy but not "fat" and it doesn't seem to be the same hen laying every day. It's a new coop and a new property this year but I started them today on a 5 day corid although I havent heard or seen anything resperatory. Any ideas I'll try them.

Mixed breeds, 2 cokoo marans, 3silver wing and 1gold wing wyandotes, 1buff orpington, 2 white leghorn, 2 asa brown, 5 americauna, 1welsommer. Feeding purina, or dumore, flock block, scratch and scraps and several hours freeranging every day. I did loose 4 hens, 3 orps and an asa brown and 1 roo about 6 weeks ago. Don't know still what got them. They seem healthy but not "fat" and it doesn't seem to be the same hen laying every day. It's a new coop and a new property this year but I started them today on a 5 day corid although I havent heard or seen anything resperatory. Any ideas I'll try them.
What kind exactly, protein and calcium percentages?

How old are these birds, in months?

You do know that corid doesn't treat respiratory disease?
Curious why you gave it to them, just because they weren't laying?

What kind exactly, protein and calcium percentages?

How old are these birds, in months?

You do know that corid doesn't treat respiratory disease?
Curious why you gave it to them, just because they weren't laying?
They are varying ages: oldest born in feb, some from march, some june. I have 6 that may be still a little young but most are definately old enough. I'm concerned about coccidosis, and I thought corid was the treatment. I'm a bit beside myself why they aren't laying. the 2 roosters don't get along but one is dominent and the other runs away. They seem to have cliques but that is pretty common. they have lots of room. I am going to feed them scrambled eggs for the next couple weeks, and see if things settle down. I just don't get it. Open to ideas. The feed is commercial purina and dumore...16% on the dumore and I think 18% on the purina.I'll check that.

They are varying ages: oldest born in feb, some from march, some june. I have 6 that may be still a little young but most are definately old enough. I'm concerned about coccidosis, and I thought corid was the treatment. I'm a bit beside myself why they aren't laying. the 2 roosters don't get along but one is dominent and the other runs away. They seem to have cliques but that is pretty common. they have lots of room. I am going to feed them scrambled eggs for the next couple weeks, and see if things settle down. I just don't get it. Open to ideas. The feed is commercial purina and dumore...16% on the dumore and I think 18% on the purina.I'll check that.
I had 1 hen that sounded raspy, she is an americuna that was laying but stopped after the attack. I gave her tylan for 3 days and had her isolated for a week. she seems fine now but missing her buddy that was killed. I just think that after 6 weeks things should be settled down.

Pullets can begin laying anytime between 5 and 9 months of age depending on the breed and the the time of year they were born. Also, daylight hours are decreasing as we move into late Fall and Winter which can trigger hens / pullets to stop laying. Hens / Pullets need about 12-14 hours of daylight to stimulate regular laying. Your pullets hatched in June are probably not at the point of lay (POL). When a pullets comb and wattles turn bright red then she is at the point of lay. Hens and Pullets need at minimum a 16% layer feed, treats and table scraps should be limited to not more than 10% of total daily diet.

Back
Top Bottom