Only 1 of 4 hens laying (2 years old)

What do you feed them with? I was mixing my own feed and then switched to an all organic non GMO mixed grain and sine I did that they've all quit laying. What is the best feed? Their first yr I mixed whole oats, corn, flax, green peas, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, and all was well. This yr I cut out corn due to heat issues and tried a premixed grain and now not getting eggs from any of them. Two have molted just recently but that wouldn't explain all of them.
IM a fanatic about NOT using sorghum in any form. I feed the Nature wise AllFlock from TSC.
It's a bit more pricey, but they are getting better nutrition so there's less waste and less gorging. I did a years worth of research and experiments on sorghum and on diatomaceous earth (diff story)
Short version, my chickens didn't thrive, looked like crap and DIDN'T LAY on anything with sorghum.

I have never used sorghum....don't even know what it is.
About 3 years ago, agricorps started replacing corn with sorghum sourced from 3rd world countries. Its a lot cheaper. There were multiple studies done vowing no differences... studies funded by agricorps. NHIS is one of two i found that were objective.
I did a big article on it in this site. There ARE differences.
Hormonal. Sorghum affects the chickens' health as well as egg laying. Also, i wonder at the coincidence of 3 years ago the rash of avian flu started. I have no proof, no research available. But the timing...

What do you feed them with? I was mixing my own feed and then switched to an all organic non GMO mixed grain and sine I did that they've all quit laying. What is the best feed? Their first yr I mixed whole oats, corn, flax, green peas, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, and all was well. This yr I cut out corn due to heat issues and tried a premixed grain and now not getting eggs from any of them. Two have molted just recently but that wouldn't explain all of them.
I'm currently feeding fermented Scratch & Peck starter and dry Payback organic hatch-to-hen, but I currently have chicks. My usual feed with an all adult flock would be fermented S&P grower (though I might stick with starter from now on) and dry Payback organic layer.

I don't get a lot of eggs but my hens are all past their prime (they range from 4-8 years old), hence the new chicks.

I'm currently feeding fermented Scratch & Peck starter and dry Payback organic hatch-to-hen, but I currently have chicks. My usual feed with an all adult flock would be fermented S&P grower (though I might stick with starter from now on) and dry Payback organic layer.

I don't get a lot of eggs but my hens are all past their prime (they range from 4-8 years old), hence the new chicks.
I'll not at all familiar with those, but i learned a hard lesson with the sorghum, so now i research the feeds i choose, lol. 40 plus hens, less than 8 eggs daily. For a year. Crazy. Now i tend to get a bit preachy about sorghum, so apologies!

I'll not at all familiar with those, but i learned a hard lesson with the sorghum, so now i research the feeds i choose, lol. 40 plus hens, less than 8 eggs daily. For a year. Crazy. Now i tend to get a bit preachy about sorghum, so apologies!
No need to apologize, if you feel it's detrimental to the birds then don't use it. The feeds I use don't have it, if that's something you're actively avoiding. But until my chicks come into lay, I'm unlikely to get more than 2 eggs a day out of 8 hens... that's what I get for choosing decorative birds over layers, and for not culling as birds age out of laying years.

If anyone would like to share their recipes for mixing grains yourself, along with sources that would be extremely helpful for all.

I currently feed my hens fermented S&P grower mash too, but give them new country organics gamebird crumbles as free-choice dry feed. They mostly eat S&P grower, which is only 17% protein, so a small amount 26% protein gamebird crumbles on top of it makes it just right.

I have some hens not laying, so no layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom