1st time chicks in Texas brooder in garage

TXKukupantsKoop

Songster
Mar 16, 2022
Central Texas
Hi there! I've read many of the threads but being a 1st time chick mama I wanted more specific advice for my area in Central TX. 10 RIR chicks coming tomorrow. I have no place inside to keep them because of space and 4 cats. I have a 100 gallon galvanized trough in my garage for them. Heat lamp on a pulley system above it. The attached picture shows weather outlook for the week. When we did a dry run with the heat lamp, it was HOT even when the lamp was significantly higher than the recommended 18 inches. I know to watch their behavior but with the temp fluctuations how can I do that without sleeping on the garage floor next to them? ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418-083235~2.png
    Screenshot_20220418-083235~2.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 42
Keep the heat lamp to one-sided of the trough. This will give thwm enough space to get away from it if they are to hot.

Pictures of your set up will help. Also is your garage heated(I am guessing not with the weather you have there) .

What was the temp in the trough, under the light and away from it.

Also some would suggest a heat plate Instead of the lamp.

Hi there! I've read many of the threads but being a 1st time chick mama I wanted more specific advice for my area in Central TX. 10 RIR chicks coming tomorrow. I have no place inside to keep them because of space and 4 cats. I have a 100 gallon galvanized trough in my garage for them. Heat lamp on a pulley system above it. The attached picture shows weather outlook for the week. When we did a dry run with the heat lamp, it was HOT even when the lamp was significantly higher than the recommended 18 inches. I know to watch their behavior but with the temp fluctuations how can I do that without sleeping on the garage floor next to them? ;)
Is your bulb a 250? I use 125. 250 is way to hot.
@Kiki is in TX and she just uses a lightbulb, maybe she can advise you.

By gettinga different wattage bulb, is it ok that it's not red? I know it's to prevent possible attacking of there's blood. I also wonder about the day/night light aspect of having white light 24/7. I have windows in the garage for natural light but they don't open anymore...old house.

By gettinga different wattage bulb, is it ok that it's not red? I know it's to prevent possible attacking of there's blood. I also wonder about the day/night light aspect of having white light 24/7. I have windows in the garage for natural light but they don't open anymore...old house.
Yes it will be fine. I have use white heat lights before because it's the only thing I could find.

I'm a proponent of using what you have. Disregard any "recommended" height and just raise the heat lamp (on one end of the brooder) to a higher level. It isn't the height that's important, it's the temperature. Put the bedding in the brooder, then raise the light to the point that you get the temperature that you need. Put a thermometer on the bedding, directly under the light, and raise or lower it until you have it giving the temperature you want. Then once you have the chicks, you can fine tune the temp by their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom