1st time peachick mom...lots of questions, help......UPDATE

OK, but I read recently that Amprol is so overused that it is beginning to lose it's effectiveness....last time we had a fecal check done, cocci was negative.

Yeah, medications are over used. Its this careful balance between risking your chicks getting disease and risking making the diseases stronger. I don't personally use any medication on any of my birds, but if they are sick I would. I don't have Peafowl, though, so I'm not sure what works for them.

I have never used medicated chick starter. Non medicated chick starter, yes, of course. We do have Amprol and use it if there's a problem, which, as far as I know, we've only had one cocci outbreak, and it was not that bad.

Last edited:
OOKKAY, THEN.....I think there is another chick. I don't know how this could be.....but tonight when I went to feed dinner, Snap got down to get a snack and a drink. When she went back to the nest (where Sweetpea still was) I heard strangled peeping....the same kind of weird peeping I heard when the first chick hatched. I walked over there to make sure, and Snap piled on top of Sweetpea when she saw me coming...., but I heard the peeping again. Now, I'm not positive...it could have been wild birds in the ceiling or even a rat or something.....but I'm pretty sure. But how could this be???? Sweetpea's eggs would be way past due.....and Snap's would be hatching at 34 days....??? Or roughly that, anyway. Guess we'll see. I do think it was a skunk that got the other baby.

I hope they get a few babies to raise!
smile.png

OOKKAY, THEN.....I think there is another chick. I don't know how this could be.....but tonight when I went to feed dinner, Snap got down to get a snack and a drink. When she went back to the nest (where Sweetpea still was) I heard strangled peeping....the same kind of weird peeping I heard when the first chick hatched. I walked over there to make sure, and Snap piled on top of Sweetpea when she saw me coming...., but I heard the peeping again. Now, I'm not positive...it could have been wild birds in the ceiling or even a rat or something.....but I'm pretty sure. But how could this be???? Sweetpea's eggs would be way past due.....and Snap's would be hatching at 34 days....??? Or roughly that, anyway. Guess we'll see. I do think it was a skunk that got the other baby.

Is there another baby? I read a thread on here where I believe a chick hatched (assisted) on the 35th day but was totally healthy!! So it's possible!

Well, if there is, they're doing a good job of hiding it. They both got off the nest today briefly. There's only three eggs left, out of the original six. The broken egg shells from the one baby hatching are gone, as are two other eggs.

Back
Top Bottom