2 Bobwhite hens flew the coop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dogginfox

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ga/ Hayesville, NC
I was cleaning out the bobwhite run earlier today and managed to startle 2 birds enough that they squeezed through a tiny crack and escaped, they didnt fly anymore than 20 yards in either direction, will they come back? im now down to 1 hen and 3 cocks! please tell me they will come back

I doubt they will come back on their own but you can try to catch them tonight. Try to see where they lay and throw something over them, a big net, cloth, sheet, anything. They do not really have homing instincts to return to the coop but might stay close.

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They came back !!!!!!!!!! a few of the remaining birds started calling just after the 2 got out a little while later i went back out to check on everyone and the 2 hens were trying to squeeze back in through the fencing. I took a small live trap and set it up next to the run and put some scratch grain in within 15 min i had one back and less than 5 min later i had the other!!!

Quote:
You may want to fix their escape crack...if they can get out through it, unfortunately, something can probably get in through it.

Dawn

Wow! Great that they came back!
I just lost 40-something Button Quail when stray dogs turned the Quail pens over in the night.
Only 2 from the whole bunch managed to find their way back. I can hear more 'calling' in the woods, but haven't been able to get close to them.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom