matthennessy

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Hey y’all,
I have 2 black australorp hens in my backyard and they are currently in a 10x6 run with 2x3 coop. Although it’s said to have 10sq feet of space per bird, even having triple that with each of my birds getting 30 sq ft, they seem to always want more. Now I know this is normal and chickens are going to want as much space as possible, it just feels like I constantly am watching them pace back and forth, jump up and the fenced in run and try to flap through it, etc. they get plenty of treats, salads, and dirt piles every day but I want to give them even more. We don’t have much room in the coop/run to add stuff without taking away their foraging space. We have another extended run that is about 20 sq ft more that we could add but my dad is adamant that “they are fine and are just going to do the same when they get the new space” as in pace around and try to find a way to the main yard. We can’t free range unfortunately Bc our fencing they’d be able to escape into other yards. Do you all think it’s a good idea to add more space for them to roam or am I over analyzing? It just feels like they go through spurts of becoming adamant on trying to get out, pecking the wire fence and pacing frantically. Any backyard chicken owners who have to confine their birds deal with the same behaviors?

I also have 2 black australorps!

I find the 10 sqft/bird to be somewhat misleading. I'd argue that's for "personal space" only, but the run itself should be large enough to incorporate different stations and activities.

We have a 9x12 with a roosting corner, a plastic tub with construction sand, and a 3x3 dig box in the center that has a slightly different medium than the main run (more dirt based than litter). We also provide treat toys, homegrown sprouts, and chicken safe plants that grown through the hardware cloth wall. I'll attach a photo so you can see our setup. The australorps are fairly happy in here. Occasionally I'll get pacing, but most of the time they're either foraging around the floor (which is mulched) or at one of the different stations.

IMG_5285.jpeg

I also have 2 black australorps!

I find the 10 sqft/bird to be somewhat misleading. I'd argue that's for "personal space" only, but the run itself should be large enough to incorporate different stations and activities.

We have a 9x12 with a roosting corner, a plastic tub with construction sand, and a 3x3 dig box in the center that has a slightly different medium than the main run (more dirt based than litter). We also provide treat toys, homegrown sprouts, and chicken safe plants that grown through the hardware cloth wall. I'll attach a photo so you can see our setup. The australorps are fairly happy in here. Occasionally I'll get pacing, but most of the time they're either foraging around the floor (which is mulched) or at one of the different stations.

View attachment 3680373
Love it! Zoo animals have enrichment standards so why shouldn’t backyard chickens?

Love it! Zoo animals have enrichment standards so why shouldn’t backyard chickens?
Agreed! To be fair, basic internet research didn't fully prepare me for how much stimulation chickens needed. It was quite the crash course once we actually had chickens and realized our best efforts weren't up to snuff. I'm even giving them another run upgrade this weekend before the winter sets in.

OP, check out this link from the Open Sanctuary Project. It's one of the best resources I found on chicken enrichment:

Creating An Enriching Life For Chickens

Please post pictures of your setup.
They have zero foraging inside a run so adding lots of clutter to the space will be much better than nothing to do in there but pace the fence.
They have access to both grass and mulch in there, so yes there is foraging :) here’s our setup for now. We have another piece we can add on the side which is about 7x3. Also only 2 girls in here

Attachments

• IMG_7810.jpeg
    IMG_7810.jpeg
    687.4 KB · Views: 44
Agreed! To be fair, basic internet research didn't fully prepare me for how much stimulation chickens needed. It was quite the crash course once we actually had chickens and realized our best efforts weren't up to snuff. I'm even giving them another run upgrade this weekend before the winter sets in.

OP, check out this link from the Open Sanctuary Project. It's one of the best resources I found on chicken enrichment:

Creating An Enriching Life For Chickens
Great! Thanks! Very true, I had no idea how much stimulation was needed for these girls!

Hey y’all,
I have 2 black australorp hens in my backyard and they are currently in a 10x6 run with 2x3 coop. Although it’s said to have 10sq feet of space per bird, even having triple that with each of my birds getting 30 sq ft, they seem to always want more. Now I know this is normal and chickens are going to want as much space as possible, it just feels like I constantly am watching them pace back and forth, jump up and the fenced in run and try to flap through it, etc. they get plenty of treats, salads, and dirt piles every day but I want to give them even more. We don’t have much room in the coop/run to add stuff without taking away their foraging space. We have another extended run that is about 20 sq ft more that we could add but my dad is adamant that “they are fine and are just going to do the same when they get the new space” as in pace around and try to find a way to the main yard. We can’t free range unfortunately Bc our fencing they’d be able to escape into other yards. Do you all think it’s a good idea to add more space for them to roam or am I over analyzing? It just feels like they go through spurts of becoming adamant on trying to get out, pecking the wire fence and pacing frantically. Any backyard chicken owners who have to confine their birds deal with the same behaviors?
Also I just invested in my first sprout seeds so this winter will be full of fresh greens for the girls

Two chickens can run as far as 50 chickens.
How often, if at all do you let them out of the run and into the garden?
It's about stimulation and excercise. Plenty of excercise helps as much as what you feed them in keeping them healthy, mentally and physically.

Back
Top Bottom