They have access to both grass and mulch in there, so yes there is foraging :) here’s our setup for now. We have another piece we can add on the side which is about 7x3. Also only 2 girls in here
You're gonna want to put hardware cloth around the bottom of that pen along with an apron around the outside.

I have the same pen and my girls when digging holes for dust bathing dig deep enough and often close enough to the pen walls that the the smaller girls could wiggle under if they werent blocked by the hardware cloth apron.

Not to mention things like raccoons, skunks and possums either digging under or ripping thru the cheap weak chicken wire the pen came with.

Also, are you noticing them pacing the fence when you are present watching and visible to them?

I have 6 girls in a similar sized pen and when I'm there working around the pen they pace the fence because they know I'm the treat deliverer and are trying to see what I'm doing. And if it involves food for them.

When I'm not present (I have a camera on them) they do zero pacing. Just... other chicken things.

They have access to both grass and mulch in there, so yes there is foraging :) here’s our setup for now. We have another piece we can add on the side which is about 7x3. Also only 2 girls in here
Can you attach the 3x7 and move the coop into it? That will give you the larger run for adding enrichment. The coop right now is taking up most of the space.

Not for long. They will denude that small area with ease. Mulch is not forage. It's something to scratch through and cold compost the poop load.
IMG_8993.jpeg

I know it’s hard to see, but we have added the additional “run” space on the right which is 7.25x3’ so that will give them about 20 sq feet more to explore. As well as fresh grass before they tear it up 😂. I’m going to add branches like the one in the bottom right to the space as well to add more things to climb on/around

Back
Top Bottom