2 chickens missing, Chicken heart found in the yard

artcgirl

Chirping
Jan 18, 2015
Elmira,Ontario,Canada
So I talk over care of my brothers birds when he is away from home in the mornings, I check the water, top up the feed and retrieve the eggs. This morning I went out and there were only 4 eggs. I found that strange so I called out girls and only four of them came running. We have 3 red sex links and 3 leghorns. 2 of the white leghorns were missing . I started to freak out slightly. I scanned my back yard looking for areas they could of escaped and right by the fence to the park I found a cut out chicken heart in my yard. I left the house with my dog and starting calling for them to see if they were in a neighbors yard and if this was just a prank. I didn't hear any response. I have the heart in a zip lock in my fridge. Who would do something like this? like if it was a hawk it would just take the whole bird. there were no extra feathers in our backyard to identify a predator. My brother has special needs and he loves having his own backyard chickens. I don't understand who would do this to him

Do they have a coop to sleep in at night? Are they completely locked up and secure at night? If they are not then it could have been almost any predator. Just the heart is an odd thing for a predator to leave behind? Can we have a picture of it? It was not a hawk because they pluck their kills on the ground, there would be feathers everywhere. I have seen dogs, coyotes, and fox eat whole birds, feathers and everything.

why would an owl only leave a heart behind tho? and yes they have a coop they get shut in at night but it doesn't have locks. we live in a small town neighborhood.we have had backyard chickens for 4 years now and nothing like this has ever happend before
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1787.JPG

I once interrupted a GHO's feast and found a partially eaten pullet with the crop, neck, and most of the breast eaten away and the heart exposed. While I looked for the culprit it did an about face and made off with the remainder of my pullet. The heart was all that was left.

Gizzards are as tough as whet leather and not exactly good eats for BofP, so are hearts.

I once interrupted a GHO's feast and found a partially eaten pullet with the crop, neck, and most of the breast eaten away and the heart exposed. While I looked for the culprit it did an about face and made off with the remainder of my pullet. The heart was all that was left.

Gizzards are as tough as whet leather and not exactly good eats for BofP, so are hearts.
poor babies :sick That makes sense though. Thanks for your feed back.

I'm so sorry :hugs
It does sound like a predator to me. My guess is that something took those two hens while they were foraging. I suggest that they be supervised while outside.

Considering where you live my guess is it was a raccoon.

Back
Top Bottom