2 chicks hatched, hen moved off other eggs?!! What?

parkerpeeps7

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Georgia
Hi guys! I have chicks hatching under a hen, bantams actually. They are in a coop that has only 3 sides closed in, the front is open with chicken wire but we have two Styrofoam boards with fabric around them that we put on the front of coop. We are putting those on now but it's getting down in the low 40's tonight and I'm concerned it will be too cold. This is our very 1st hatch without the incubator and was planning to let nature takes its course but its the coldest day its been this week and they are hatching! Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!
Amy

Okay, the area is def dry and pretty draft free, maybe completely and they are staying under the hen and she isn't moving. I only knew they had hatched b/c I saw shells and could hear peeping under her. I can't wait to see what the morning brings! Hopefully 8 happy and healthy chicks! :) Thank you guys for the info!

So far this morning we have 2 babies doing well! The only thing is now the hen has gotten off of her 6 eggs and moved with the 2 babies into another nest box with a brooding hen. We are currently warming up the incubator in case she decides not to go back to those eggs, why in the world she wouldn't, I don't know?!?!

Hello,
This also happened to me once with my guinea fowl. She hatched two keets and left the rest of the eggs and never returned to them. This occurred for me because my hen had over twenty eggs under her (all of which were hers) and they all had different hatch dates. So the first keet hatched and then a day and a half later the next keet hatched. On the third day mamma decided to get up to feed keet 1 because three days is how long the yolk sac in them feeds them. You should wait a couple of hours to see if she will return and if not place them in the incubator. As you wait to see if she will return make sure the eggs are kept warm because if they cool a little, the chicks could be born with straddle legs (which is easily fixable if treated soon).

Best of luck and congrats.

Oh I also forgot to mention she could have left them because the chick in them is probably dead. The hens know if the baby is alive in the egg or not.

We did go ahead and put them in the incubator, it was killing me waiting since she had been off of them for over an hour. We candled before we put them in and one is actually peeped however we can't hear anything in the egg but we think we saw a little movement. Of course it could just be hope. Hopefully these will make it. Thank you for the advice! :)

Wow, I am having the exact same issue, my hen just left and made a nest with her 2 hatched chicks and left the rest. They were still warm 1/2hr ago, and I am rooting around in the garage to get the incubator out just in case. One pipped egg. Wondering if I should just put her and her babies back in the nest and lock her in till tomorrow?

My hen left the nest after only two of the eight eggs hatched. I put the remaining six under a heat lamp and they have hatched. Does anyone know if I can put them back under the heh with the other two , successfully?

Back
Top Bottom