2 Coop options- your thoughts?

PartiPoodles

Chirping
Jan 16, 2022
Considering 2 options and looking for input to consider:
1. Coop Controls Automatic coop door
2. Wall vent fan

1. Seems like the other brands of automated doors all had enough complaints or issues to seem like legit concerns. I have the Ghost Controls gate system on my property and love it. Coop Controls is the same company as Ghost Controls and design looks the same on Coop Controls. Any experiences with Coop Controls or other brands you’d suggest looking into more?

2. Vent fan because it’s FL. May through September can be brutal heat and humidity, even at night; with many real feel temps in the 100’s . The reviews for each different kind I looked at all had some issues that seemed legit. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if the products are being blamed for the person not following instructions or not having minimal handy person skills. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Considering 2 options and looking for input to consider:
1. Coop Controls Automatic coop door
2. Wall vent fan

1. Seems like the other brands of automated doors all had enough complaints or issues to seem like legit concerns. I have the Ghost Controls gate system on my property and love it. Coop Controls is the same company as Ghost Controls and design looks the same on Coop Controls. Any experiences with Coop Controls or other brands you’d suggest looking into more?

2. Vent fan because it’s FL. May through September can be brutal heat and humidity, even at night; with many real feel temps in the 100’s . The reviews for each different kind I looked at all had some issues that seemed legit. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if the products are being blamed for the person not following instructions or not having minimal handy person skills. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I have an auto door from Omlet. Works well for me.

I don’t remember seeing that one before. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!
Checked it out. Looks like a strong contender for Coop Controls. Really like how Omlet has the optional install kits for the type of material it is being installed on. The only drawbacks were that I couldn’t find it had a remote override button to open/close and can’t be used with solar. Not a huge deal on either of those things though. Thanks again for sharing that

I have no comment on doors, as I am the door opener/closer. I'll say that with proper ventilation, you don't need a fan.
Thanks! Not sure if I have proper ventilation or not, which probably indicates I don’t. Read somewhere somebody mentioning 1 sq. ft. Of vent per bird. That just seems like a lot. Not really wanting to punch a 3.5 x 3.5 hole in the walls of the coop- haha.

Thanks! Not sure if I have proper ventilation or not, which probably indicates I don’t. Read somewhere somebody mentioning 1 sq. ft. Of vent per bird. That just seems like a lot. Not really wanting to punch a 3.5 x 3.5 hole in the walls of the coop- haha.
It's not a lot at all. I have roughly 3 sq ft per bird open 95% of the time, and while it's not super cold here we still get snow and freezing temps each year. In hot climates, having an open air coop or at least 1 entire wall as open wire mesh is something to strongly consider.

Take a look at some of these set ups for inspiration, or post photos of your set up if you need more specific suggestions.

Not sure if I have proper ventilation or not, which probably indicates I don’t.
An easy way to check...Temp and humidity should be the same inside the coop as outside. Plus or minus a little.
Read somewhere somebody mentioning 1 sq. ft. Of vent per bird. That just seems like a lot.
With the FLA heat and humidity, it's really on the low end.

Vent fan because it’s FL. May through September can be brutal heat and humidity, even at night; with many real feel temps in the 100’s . The reviews for each different kind I looked at all had some issues that seemed legit. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if the products are being blamed for the person not following instructions or not having minimal handy person skills. Any suggestions?
What does your coop look like?

Chickens generate a LOT of dust; much more than other farm animals. If you get a fan, make sure it is designed for barns. It will have extra sealing around the motor and such.
Or have the fan blowing into the coop, will greatly reduce any dust that collects on fan.

Back
Top Bottom