2 dead 8 week old chicks

lioness27

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 22, 2017
Please bear with me as I give background. 8 weeks ago, my broody hen hatched 3 chicks. I kept them separated in their own 3 x 9 foot run. Everything seemed fine until 1week ago. The mother hen began to peck one of the chicks. This chick was slightly smaller than the other 2. I removed the mother hen but kept the chicks in the same run. Today 2 of the chicks are dead. The smaller chick had a very bloody head but no other noticeable injuries. The other chick was completely torn apart with the head missing. Did something get in the run or did they kill each other and the remaining chick ate the carcass?
Finally what do I do with the remaining chick? It's too small to move in with the flock. Should I move its mom back in?

That sounds like a predator got in - check the chick's area very carefully for any small holes, gaps in wire, loose boards, etc. It could be something as small as a rat or weasel.

If the chick is 8 weeks old I would start integrating it with the flock. Depending on your set up, you can either move the existing chick run into the adult's run, or place it next to it so they can all see each other but not touch. The mother was likely trying to wean the chicks already which is why she was pecking them, so I doubt she'd take it back.

That sounds like a predator got in - check the chick's area very carefully for any small holes, gaps in wire, loose boards, etc. It could be something as small as a rat or weasel.

If the chick is 8 weeks old I would start integrating it with the flock. Depending on your set up, you can either move the existing chick run into the adult's run, or place it next to it so they can all see each other but not touch. The mother was likely trying to wean the chicks already which is why she was pecking them, so I doubt she'd take it back.
Thank you for the information. Upon exam there was a 2×4 inch hole in the fencing. Rat maybe? Would a rat bloody one chick's head but leave the body intact?

Thank you for the information. Upon exam there was a 2×4 inch hole in the fencing. Rat maybe? Would a rat bloody one chick's head but leave the body intact?

Might be a weasel following a rat hole in. Not sure. Just with the damage that was done, that was definitely not the type of damage that would be done by another chick.

Back
Top Bottom