2 dead in 24 hrs.

FarmerPhill

Hatching
Apr 12, 2024
I have 1 year old egg layers. 4 I Browns(now 2 ) and 4 Black Sex link. The one black one has started pecking the rear end of the browns. I have now found 2 browns dead in 24 hours.

Last edited:
It sounds like either your chickens are overcrowded, bored from not getting outside to roam around, have too much light inside your coop, or you may not be feeding them enough protein in a balanced feed. Some breeds can be more aggressive than others, and vent pecking can become a bad habit in the flock. Consider getting some pinless peepers for the ones pecking.

I’m really sorry for your loss. When they get a red spot or blood on them from pecking or feather picking they will continue to attract pecking. If a hen has a prolapsed vent they will frequently peck them, even to the point of death. What exactly are you feeding them including treats? How large is your coop and run, and how many birds. Are there roosters or cockerels?

I feed them

Kalmbach Feeds All Natural 17% Protein Layer Pellets Chicken Feed. I also feed them a side of crushed oyster shell. My mom started coming out giving them treats in the morning cut up apples and blueberries. I normally only treat with Black fly Larva. My dad got some kind of bird mix that he has been tossing in as scratch.

Coop is 4x6 box with 3 laying boxes, 2 roost rails. The outside is a 4x4 with open door to a 4 x 8 run addition I have 4 x2 trap door section between the 2 I can close doors off seperate what ever. Water on both ends feeders one in each end.

Have they died from pecking?
What's their diet?
How big is their coop?
Any other symptoms?
No other symptoms just noticed blood on some of eggs at start of week My dad gathered and didnt tell me. After checking all the girls thoroughly it is only the browns and remaining 2 have bloody rumps bad from pecking and the 1 large Black is aggressively pecking them. I have separated them within the enclosure 4 outside in 4x8 2 browns inside in the 4x4 outside and 4 x 6 box. I have no idea what to do if the black one continues she is gonna have to go.

I am so sorry for your loss and situation. I could understand letting 1 go to save 2. Until the brown ladies bottoms have healed they will probably have to be kept separate, so the other blacks don't begin pecking, and watch the browns to make sure they don't begin pecking each other. Blood does crazy things to chickens.

I’m really sorry for your loss. When they get a red spot or blood on them from pecking or feather picking they will continue to attract pecking. If a hen has a prolapsed vent they will frequently peck them, even to the point of death. What exactly are you feeding them including treats? How large is your coop and run, and how many birds. Are there roosters or cockerels?
No roosters just 4 and 4 now 2 and 4 laying hens I browns and Black sexlink

Back
Top Bottom