2 lethargic chicks

Heat

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Washington
Last Friday I had a hen come home with 8 chicks. This morning there were only 7, which I know happens. Especially when mama stays outside the coop at night and I have no idea where she is nesting.

But there are 2 other chicks that weren't scratching or milling around with mama like the others. They were about 5-6 feet away from mama and the other 5 chicks. I was able to walk right to them and pick them up. They didn't "cry" like baby chicks do and were very quiet. Only chirped a few times. And mama didn't even notice.

I have them inside in a makeshift brooder (plastic tote with straw, chick feed, water, and a heat lamp). I was able to get them to drink some water, but other than that they are just standing there with their eyes closed, like I found them outside. When I pick them up they will chirp a bit, I tipped them up to insect their feet (that was when they really chirped). The feet look fine. One of them has some poo stuck to its butt (going to clean it off with a wet paper towel unless there is another suggestion?)

At this point I am not sure what else I can do to help them survive. What else should I do? Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cleaning their dirty bottoms is a good start. Some vitamins/electrolytes in their water or Poly-vi-sol (without iron) would probably really help them. Nutri-Drench would be even better if you can find it. It doesn't need to wait to be digested and is absorbed right into the blood stream. You may also have to help them eat. I mix some of their starter with some water until it wet enough to be sucked up into a dropper and syringe feed it to them. Good luck, I hope they're feeling better soon!

These you for the tips. Unfortunately by the time i got back home one had passed and the other passed 5 minutes after i got back :-( but I guess I at least have the poultry electrolytes on hand now if i need them again.

How unfortunate. Sending good thoughts your way. Next time when a chicks gets hard poop stuck to the backside it's called Pasty butt. It is where the poo clogs the vent and makes all sorts of problems. Immediately clean the poop off with a warm wash cloth. Scramble some eggs and if they refuse that mash the eggs with some water and feed it through a syringe. You could substitute the egg with plain yogurt or the medicated chick feed. If you have tiny grasshoppers try and catch them and squish them :O and see if they deny that. Keep them warm and hopefully it will save some other chicks too.

Back
Top Bottom