2 more to our flock

bobcatdan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
The family and I went and bought 1 silver wyandotte and 1 australop to add to our flock. Now I need to get into moment of excite of having to start over with the heat lamp and constant babysitting of these two. At what age can I introduce them to our older pullets?

> How old are you other pullets?

Generally you should introduce them when they are nearly the same size as the other birds. Introduce them through a cage or a fenced off area for a week then let them mingle. The older birds will pick on the little ones, this is called "establishing a pecking order" the pecking goes on for a week until the order is established on who eats first and stuff like that.

Go ahead and wait a good 2 months before you introduce them and post pics on the forum to make sure they're close enough in size to introduce them at that time.

When your two chicks are old enough it would help your integration immensely if you will fence off part of the run or other area for them so they can be outside during the day next to the older birds. I put mine out in their grow-out pen at 5 weeks. They are let out with the older hens at about 12 weeks old. By that time they've all gotten used to seeing each other every day, pecking order issues are pretty minor and nobody gets hurt.

Back
Top Bottom