2 of 8 New Baby Chicks Struggling and Not Eating

Sarahmae01

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Hi All, I am a first time baby chick owner. Picked up 8 baby chicks from the local feed store yesterday morning. Have had them in the brooder for 24 hours. The Feed Store was supposed to get this shipment of chicks the day prior, but the shipping was delayed and late by a day. I'm assuming this adds stress to the chicks?! The Orpingtons and Americana's are all doing great. But the two black australorps (last two left at the store) seem very unhealthy - are struggling to stand (leaning against wall), lethargic/barely moving, not drinking without assistance or eating at all. I've tried electrolytes in water (helping them get a drink), raw egg yolk, mashed hard boiled egg and non medicated chick feed - they won't really eat anything. No signs of pasty butt. Is there anything else I can do to help them? Should I be worried about disease? Coccidiosis? Thank you for your help!

Hi All, I am a first time baby chick owner. Picked up 8 baby chicks from the local feed store yesterday morning. Have had them in the brooder for 24 hours. The Feed Store was supposed to get this shipment of chicks the day prior, but the shipping was delayed and late by a day. I'm assuming this adds stress to the chicks?! The Orpingtons and Americana's are all doing great. But the two black australorps (last two left at the store) seem very unhealthy - are struggling to stand (leaning against wall), lethargic/barely moving, not drinking without assistance or eating at all. I've tried electrolytes in water (helping them get a drink), raw egg yolk, mashed hard boiled egg and non medicated chick feed - they won't really eat anything. No signs of pasty butt. Is there anything else I can do to help them? Should I be worried about disease? Coccidiosis? Thank you for your help!
I'm sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you. We just got our first chicks ever on Thursday and have had many deaths. It was very cold the night they shipped. We ordered 25. 26 arrived, four dead and one almost gone. She died and 3 more over the next 36 hours. We tried all the things you mentioned for the ones with the behaviors you are experiencing. I even had a relatively active one outright fight away from me feeding her. Prepare for the worst and know it is NOT your fault. We still have one we are feeding. She is tiny and won't push her way into the food or water. She will eat when we offer food.

They're too young for coccidiosis or any disease. It's most likely shipping stress due to being shipped in cold temps + delayed. If you can get Poutry Nutri-Drench and add that to their water, that'd be the ideal pick me up, but unfortunately they might not make it regardless if the trip was too much for them to handle.

Thank you so much for your kind words. It’s so hard to watch them struggle. Sadly, one of the two died not long after my initial post. The second sick one looked very close to gone but then perked back up a little bit in the last hour. She is definitely resisting food and water still. Even though I so want her to make it, I have to be prepared for the worst like you said. I wish there was something more I could do, but also relieved it’s not due to something I’ve neglected. Thanks again.

They're too young for coccidiosis or any disease. It's most likely shipping stress due to being shipped in cold temps + delayed. If you can get Poutry Nutri-Drench and add that to their water, that'd be the ideal pick me up, but unfortunately they might not make it regardless if the trip was too much for them to handle.
Thank you so much. I’ll give the poultry nutri-drench a try too. And good to know they’re too young for Coccidiosis. I really appreciate your help.

I'm sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you. We just got our first chicks ever on Thursday and have had many deaths. It was very cold the night they shipped. We ordered 25. 26 arrived, four dead and one almost gone. She died and 3 more over the next 36 hours. We tried all the things you mentioned for the ones with the behaviors you are experiencing. I even had a relatively active one outright fight away from me feeding her. Prepare for the worst and know it is NOT your fault. We still have one we are feeding. She is tiny and won't push her way into the food or water. She will eat when we offer food.
TSC chicks too, first time ever for babies. 2 barred rocks were smaller than EEs. 2nd day made a mash of feed, egg yolks, water & a little sugar, read about it on BYC earlier. DH thought it was too early to intervene but I know from breeding Shelties for years that it is never too early. Everyone perked up after that and all doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom