2 week old easter egger can't stand all of a sudden

sandywade

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2015
My two year old easter egger can't stand. This is quite out of the blue. She looked healthy and happy until this morning. Her left foot is now in front of her and her right foot is way back behind her. I went and got some poly vi sol, thinking it may be a vitamin deficiency, but I have no idea really. Any suggestions?

She could be dehydrated or she may have an injury. What is her history, where did she come from? Vitamins with electrolytes are good, but make sure she is taking fluids well. How is her neck? Mareks disease is always a worry with these sort of symptoms, but I wouldn't worry now since that almost never shows up before 3 weeks or more of age. Right now, it might be better to keep her separated by a little barricade or fence in her brooder, so that she is not trampled.

She came from a local farm. She was doing really well up until yesterday. She seemed strong. She's drinking, when I hold her to water. She's eating just fine. She came with 3 other chicks, one of which died a few days before. That one had pasty butt and nothing seemed to help. But the symptoms for that one were very different. I've started putting pedialyte in the water now and I'm directly giving her poly vi sol. I'll let you know if I see anything new.

she seems to be getting worse. Every time I try to prop her up in something so that she can drink when she needs to, she lunges forward and ends up in the water dish. We work all day, so I don't know how to get her water and vitamins throughout the day. I fear that when I get back home, she will not be alive anymore. Her toes are now beginning to curl under.

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same problem with my two week old barred rock. I have 20 others that are fine and all of a sudden, this one couldn't walk or stand. At first I thought she had splayed leg, so I tried strapping her legs together and making little sandals, but she was worse with that. I tried the therapy in a cup too but she can't even push herself up so that didn't work. She's eating, drinking and pooping fine. Any help is appreciated!

Came home and she's still alive, but not looking any better. and now shes not drinking as well. ive been giving her droppers of vitamin/water mix

Update... still having trouble, now laying on her back... but she's eating like a champ, and drinking when I dip her beak in the water. Any more thoughts?

I wouldn't let her lay on her back. Seems like that wouldn't let her food and water digest correctly being in that position. Maybe you can make a harness that makes her stand like they make when horses fall.

There are some vitamin deficiencies(Bcomplex and E) and also AE (avian encephalomyelitis) that can cause lameness in chicks this age. I would agree that a chick chair or sling with food and water near her may be a good option, but since the other 3 chicks died, she may just have been a product of a poor hatch. Here is some info on vitamin deficiencies and AE:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/9/avian-encephalomyelitis-epidemic-tremors/
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

6612_chick_chair.jpg
LL
LL

59765_pp.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom