2 wk old chick failure to thrive? Please help

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I have a 2 week old buff orpington (give or take a couple days) that is noticeably smaller than the rest. She has her wing feathers and is starting to grow her tail feathers, but he wing feathers kind of stick out to the side a little more then the rest of the chicks. She eats and drinks fine but she tends to try to huddle with the other chicks, tends to be alone, and she’s not as active as the others.

Could this be failure to thrive? Is there anything i can do for her? She’s vaccinated too.

I would just watch closely. If she is eating and drinking that is a good sign. You could put out a second waterer with a chicken vitamin supplement added and see if that perks her up. They sell that sort of thing at most feed stores. Here are some pictures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...em-one-of-these-vitamin-electrolytes.1571124/

You can also make a homemade electrolyte solution if you can't get out today, but these lack the extra vitamins. I usually divide the recipe up and make 2-4 cups at a time and keep the rest in the fridge. You can also get a dropper and squeeze a little on her beak and she will lap it up.

https://www.communitychickens.com/homemade-electrolytes-for-chickens/

Sadly, this is common, but she doesn't sound like a dire case. Post if you see any other symptoms if if it gets worse.

I would just watch closely. If she is eating and drinking that is a good sign. You could put out a second waterer with a chicken vitamin supplement added and see if that perks her up. They sell that sort of thing at most feed stores. Here are some pictures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...em-one-of-these-vitamin-electrolytes.1571124/

You can also make a homemade electrolyte solution if you can't get out today, but these lack the extra vitamins. I usually divide the recipe up and make 2-4 cups at a time and keep the rest in the fridge. You can also get a dropper and squeeze a little on her beak and she will lap it up.

https://www.communitychickens.com/homemade-electrolytes-for-chickens/

Sadly, this is common, but she doesn't sound like a dire case. Post if you see any other symptoms if if it gets worse.
thank you! I have the rooster booster poultry cell, would that be good enough?

Something formulated for chicks would be more ideal. The vitamin balance in that supplement is more for adult birds. It may be fine, but I personally wouldn't risk it with a chick that seems under the weather.

Failure to thrive usually = failure to live. But I've had runt chicks where I just did my best, give Nutri drench or some other chick vitamin boost, and let them live their best little lives for as long as they could. They are never quite right and can die around 1.5years. It's up to you if you have the space for one that isn't "ideal." If you only want a healthy strong flock, then culling is what it is.

Failure to thrive usually = failure to live. But I've had runt chicks where I just did my best, give Nutri drench or some other chick vitamin boost, and let them live their best little lives for as long as they could. They are never quite right and can die around 1.5years. It's up to you if you have the space for one that isn't "ideal." If you only want a healthy strong flock, then culling is what it is.
But my question is, is she failure to thrive or what?

And i’ve also seen runts that end up being the biggest in the flock.

thank you! I have the rooster booster poultry cell, would that be good enough?
I looked at the thread again, Wyorp Rock said it would be fine to do rooster booster, and I trust that, so you can just give her what you have. I would use the smallest dose so that it doesn't stress her organs with the synthetic vitamins and such.

Sorry about that! I need to slow down sometimes.

I looked at the thread again, Wyorp Rock said it would be fine to do rooster booster, and I trust that, so you can just give her what you have. I would use the smallest dose so that it doesn't stress her organs with the synthetic vitamins and such.

Sorry about that! I need to slow down sometimes.
Hey that’s okay! I think the smallest dose is 1cc but i could always do 1/2cc too

Back
Top Bottom