2 wk old chick failure to thrive? Please help

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I have a 2 week old buff orpington (give or take a couple days) that is noticeably smaller than the rest. She has her wing feathers and is starting to grow her tail feathers, but he wing feathers kind of stick out to the side a little more then the rest of the chicks. She eats and drinks fine but she tends to try to huddle with the other chicks, tends to be alone, and she’s not as active as the others.

Could this be failure to thrive? Is there anything i can do for her? She’s vaccinated too.

So good to hear she's doing well! I think it's great that you were able to give the little 1 a little extra care to help get it going. I had a first ever "runt" chick hatched last year. Same size as others at hatch, but after a couple weeks others were growing and this 1 was not. At several months, she was only about half the size as others. Now at just over a year, she's still smaller, but has caught up quite a bit and is laying almost full size eggs.

I’m curious if she made it
She’s about 12-13 weeks old and doing just fine. She’s still a bit smaller but that’s okay with me.
IMG_4192.jpeg

But my question is, is she failure to thrive or what?

And i’ve also seen runts that end up being the biggest in the flock.
You can't know until and unless she does nothing but decline. That's failure to thrive. So definitely give her some Nutri drench or Chick Saver, keep her in with her flock with all that they all need anyway to be healthy and keep an eye on her. You'll know soon enough if she's going downhill or going to make it but be runtish or going to catch up like you say, since indeed that happens.

Looks like you’ve received a lot of good advice. I would just add that you could also give her some egg yolk. I usually just crumble one from a boiled egg - but be warned, if you give it to everyone in the brooder it will be a feeding frenzy. So probably best to pull her out and give her first run at it. I figure that has all the stuff a chick needs before hatch, so likely similar to their needs as babies.

I think so people feed it raw, which may be better, but kinda messy. But maybe a better bet if she isn’t eating on her own.

Back
Top Bottom