2 wk old chick failure to thrive? Please help

Yeah, I totally understand. I haven't been able to bring myself to cull a chick, usually because I still have hope till the last moments. It is hard to say if they are in pain or not, because they are just struggling to get their body to work right and it is not working. Maybe that does feel like suffering, but if a chicken has an incurable disease, that is much easier to cull there since you know they would rather have relief.
Agree 100% with you. I guess i’m holding out because i don’t know what’s going to happen yk? She could get better, only time and love will tell. I’m doing all i can, and that’s okay

The chick was so active today and I’m so happy about it. Only thing i have noticed is she doesn’t really fly at all, like the others will flap their wings but she doesn’t. I’m not really sure if this is a cause for concern but still eating really well!
I have some early feathering and later feathering chicks, and the flapping seems to ramp up as their wing feathers come in. So she may just be a little bit “developmentally delayed,” but should catch up.

So good to hear she's doing well! I think it's great that you were able to give the little 1 a little extra care to help get it going. I had a first ever "runt" chick hatched last year. Same size as others at hatch, but after a couple weeks others were growing and this 1 was not. At several months, she was only about half the size as others. Now at just over a year, she's still smaller, but has caught up quite a bit and is laying almost full size eggs.

So good to hear she's doing well! I think it's great that you were able to give the little 1 a little extra care to help get it going. I had a first ever "runt" chick hatched last year. Same size as others at hatch, but after a couple weeks others were growing and this 1 was not. At several months, she was only about half the size as others. Now at just over a year, she's still smaller, but has caught up quite a bit and is laying almost full size eggs.
Thank you, i didn’t want to give up on her. She’s growing slow (feathers and weight) but she’s been much more active.

Back
Top Bottom