2 yr old rooster has gone psycho

Hahaa.. yes, it would be quite embarrassing to be maimed or die from Roo Rage. I can think of far more noble ways to go. :)

My ex got stabbed by a deer once, at a country park....that was quite funny
Not at the time though he was feeding then crisps and had our 2yr old daughter with him
Turned out it was mating season and one angry deer went for him,
He had to hold our daughter up in the air away from his horns so he couldn't protect himself

He had to ring work in the evening to say he couldn't come in he'd been attacked by Bambi
Nurses had a good laugh at him too

Hahaa.. yes, it would be quite embarrassing to be maimed or die from Roo Rage. I can think of far more noble ways to go. :)

It is interesting though, that if we think about it, we may have played a part. I know, most will say you need a rooster so docile you could bring a tank into the hen yard and he wouldn't mind, but there's lots of us dealing with a rooster that, while not stupid docile is also not crazy aggressive. His aggression seems to be triggered by things that, seen from his point of view, are perfectly rational.
I'm okay with trying to come to terms with the guy. I'm okay with the time it might take. Not like I have a real job! Lol!

It is interesting though, that if we think about it, we may have played a part. I know, most will say you need a rooster so docile you could bring a tank into the hen yard and he wouldn't mind, but there's lots of us dealing with a rooster that, while not stupid docile is also not crazy aggressive. His aggression seems to be triggered by things that, seen from his point of view, are perfectly rational.
I'm okay with trying to come to terms with the guy. I'm okay with the time it might take. Not like I have a real job! Lol!

Lit seems like a very fine balance, especially if you need a feisty roo
Because my run is enclosed I don't need a roo to fight off predators
So do I choose the most docile ? Little rooster, or buster ? Cuddles is staying whatever happens
Interestingly something freaked out the chickens the other day and the roosters were the first ones to run off, I guess at 7 wks the protecting mode hasn't started working yet

It is interesting though, that if we think about it, we may have played a part. I know, most will say you need a rooster so docile you could bring a tank into the hen yard and he wouldn't mind, but there's lots of us dealing with a rooster that, while not stupid docile is also not crazy aggressive. His aggression seems to be triggered by things that, seen from his point of view, are perfectly rational. I'm okay with trying to come to terms with the guy. I'm okay with the time it might take. Not like I have a real job! Lol!

This is interesting and makes me think. The other day I posted a thread about my chickens attacking my toes because I stupidly painted them a bright orange/red color and then opened the run door in bare feet. They went completely berserk trying to attack my feet - pecking so hard they drew blood. These are the same chickens that up until that point had always been nice, sweet, and DOCILE.

So I posted the thread because in the end it was funny and I don't mind laughing at myself, and thought others might get a kick out of the rookie mistake. But I guess chickens are attracted to the color red (I know that NOW, lol), and with that understanding it probably IS rational for them to think my white, wiggly toes - that had bright red spots - were either something to eat or something dangerous. I don't speak chicken well enough to understand exactly WHY they were trying to murder my toes, but I AM pretty sure they didn't connect my toes with ME. It wasn't personal. So from their point of view, their behavior was totally rational and even understandable, even though I personally thought they were completely NUTS.

Just my own food for thought, I guess.
smile.png

This is an older post, but thanks for all of this info!! I have 23 hens/pullets of different ages and NO ROO! I'd like one to protect the flock, so now I'll pay a lot more attention to personality.

Thanks from way across the pond!

This is interesting and makes me think. The other day I posted a thread about my chickens attacking my toes because I stupidly painted them a bright orange/red color and then opened the run door in bare feet. They went completely berserk trying to attack my feet - pecking so hard they drew blood. These are the same chickens that up until that point had always been nice, sweet, and DOCILE.

So I posted the thread because in the end it was funny and I don't mind laughing at myself, and thought others might get a kick out of the rookie mistake. But I guess chickens are attracted to the color red (I know that NOW, lol), and with that understanding it probably IS rational for them to think my white, wiggly toes - that had bright red spots - were either something to eat or something dangerous. I don't speak chicken well enough to understand exactly WHY they were trying to murder my toes, but I AM pretty sure they didn't connect my toes with ME. It wasn't personal. So from their point of view, their behavior was totally rational and even understandable, even though I personally thought they were completely NUTS.

Just my own food for thought, I guess.
smile.png

Funny you brought that up. This isn't about my toes, but it is about paint and chicken behavior. My hubby built me a nice, big brooder. I painted it and thought it would be cute to have my grandson put handprints on it so I could paint them like little chicks. You know, brooder for baby chicks with cute little grandson handprint chicks painted on the outside. We did it and it looked so cute. The brooder is set up in a bigger coop and we had to move our Polish pullets and cockerels to that coop for awhile. The first day they were in there, they destroyed my little handprinted chicks! I guess they thought the little black dots for eyes were bugs or something. They pecked the heck out of every little handprint chicken head. All I could do was laugh!!

I live in a cul de sac and TECHNICALLY I am not allowed to process and animal. We really do not have an established ordinance here in Rancho Cordova Ca so while the authorities have known for years I have chickens they do not bother me or my other neighbors that have since added their own flocks. The few that I have had to cul were dear to my heart, silkies are about as much meat as squab and not worth the trouble eating. Its hard enough to cull a buddy but eat them is not in my heart. We are looking to get land up north and if it works out then I will have eating chickens.
I get four small meals of curry out of one Silkie, and soup with what's left. There is plenty of meat on a Silkie. I just hate wasting meat. After researching slaughter and commercial farming, I really try to minimize any meat products from a commercial operation. I skin the Silkies. It takes very little time to clean and skin a Silkie. An older rooster might be a little more difficult--roosters, even young ones were a shock at how difficult they were to even just clean the entrails out of the body. I've never processed a Silkie rooster older than 6 or 7 months and they were very easy to clean.

Quote:
Very good point, and I've been wondering the same thing. Are there not LEVELS of aggression? Is this issue so cut and dried that killing said roo truly is the only option? I understand that those who are breeding want to eliminate the 'mean gene' in their flocks, ..but in my situation, this is not the case. Furthermore, my roo has far more positive traits than he does negative, and personally, I enjoy his sass and spunk! Now, that said, I must also say that I am not going to tolerate him attacking me or anyone else, and so far, ..he seems to be re-thinking his bad behavior. lol. I watch him as I pick up one of the hens, and he does eyeball me, ..but he'll toss his head and walk away. ..then he eyeballs me from a distance. :) Even if he is WAY across the yard and his favorite hen is in the nesting box back in the coop .. if he hears me call her name, "Rooosieeeee!!" ..he will come flying across the yard at top speed to see what I'm doing with her. It's funny actually! I don't know. As I've said, I am still in a 'wait and see' mode, and I'm intent on giving him another chance and working with him. We shall see. I am hoping for the best, yet still preparing myself if the worst should occur..

Back
Top Bottom