Rooster Psychology

RGB RIP

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
I've got suburban Los Angeles chickens, so this is another one of those questions that real farm people will probably laugh at. But we have 4 hens and an "accidental" half-bantam rooster that we took a liking to and decided to keep. But out of consideration for our neighbors, I take him out of the coop and put him in a kennel inside the house at night, and I don't put him back out with the hens until a reasonable hour of the morning. When he's inside the house, he's a sweet little pet rooster who likes to sit in my lap with the dogs and get pets. When he's outside with the girls, it's another story. He takes advantage of any opportunity to attack me, especially sneaking up from behind. Other times he'll puff up his feathers and challenge me head-on. He does this with me and any other kids or women who come into the yard (although he's too intimidated to attack my husband). He's a complete chickenSh*t when it comes to protecting the girls. (A strange dog got into our yard the other day and he headed straight up a tree, every bird for themselves).

I've done the thing where I don't let him win a fight. I hold onto him tight, do the "forced affection" thing, show him he can't win, etc. I've tried the "rocking" trick I saw someone do on YouTube. But he does the same exact thing over and over again. I wish I could get inside his little head to understand his thinking. It seems to me he's attacking me specifically because he knows I won't hurt him and isn't intimidated. Is he showing off for the girls? It's even occurred to me that he might think this is a really fun game, and he might actually enjoy when I grab hold of him and restrain him.

Does anyone have any insight? Am I inadvertently encouraging him to attack me because of the way I respond? Is there something else I should try to prevent these showdowns in the first place? Or is this just an individual rooster personality thing?

First, roosters won't necessarily fight with another animal. They will give warning and keep watch, but that's about the extent of it for the most part. Some roosters will fight, but it also depends on whether he's cornered or not and what animal it is. Confidence plays a big part in that too.

How old is he? Forcing affection often doesn't work. Inside there are no girls to claim. Outside, you're in his space and those are his girls and he sees you as competition. If at this point he hasn't hurt you or the kids, you can learn to be more assertive, but keep the kids away from him. Ignore him, don't walk around him or avoid him but walk past him and make him move out of your way, not the other way around. Don't pick up the ladies or hand feed them. Also, try putting treats down for him and let him call the girls to tell them he has treats for them.

First, roosters won't necessarily fight with another animal. They will give warning and keep watch, but that's about the extent of it for the most part. Some roosters will fight, but it also depends on whether he's cornered or not and what animal it is. Confidence plays a big part in that too.

How old is he? Forcing affection often doesn't work. Inside there are no girls to claim. Outside, you're in his space and those are his girls and he sees you as competition. If at this point he hasn't hurt you or the kids, you can learn to be more assertive, but keep the kids away from him. Ignore him, don't walk around him or avoid him but walk past him and make him move out of your way, not the other way around. Don't pick up the ladies or hand feed them. Also, try putting treats down for him and let him call the girls to tell them he has treats for them.
Our rooster is now around 2 years old. It's absolutely true that his aggression seems to be all about the girls. Before we got a rooster, the hens were all very friendly "lap chickens," but now they're all flighty and I can't touch any of them. Makes it a little hard to examine them for mites and dirty butts, or to even do a thorough job cleaning their coop and run. I feel a little guilty, because I'm not able to keep everyone nearly as clean as I used to. I will try ignoring him when he "challenges" me to a fight. This usually results in my getting attacked from behind, but maybe if I just shake it off he'll get tired of jumping on me.

Our rooster is now around 2 years old. It's absolutely true that his aggression seems to be all about the girls. Before we got a rooster, the hens were all very friendly "lap chickens," but now they're all flighty and I can't touch any of them. Makes it a little hard to examine them for mites and dirty butts, or to even do a thorough job cleaning their coop and run. I feel a little guilty, because I'm not able to keep everyone nearly as clean as I used to. I will try ignoring him when he "challenges" me to a fight. This usually results in my getting attacked from behind, but maybe if I just shake it off he'll get tired of jumping on me.
I examine the birds at night with a headlamp, much easier to pluck them off the roost and give a look. I have my husband or one of the kids help with an extra flashlight in case I need it. If there's anyone that needs attention I take them off the roost early the next morning, or take them in the house with me that night.

This usually results in my getting attacked from behind, but maybe if I just shake it off he'll get tired of jumping on me.
I don't know how you usually dress to visit the chickens, but I wouldn't try that in shorts and sandals. I'd go for something like jeans and/or rubber boots. It might make a difference in how many bandaids you need afterward ;)

I don't know how you usually dress to visit the chickens, but I wouldn't try that in shorts and sandals. I'd go for something like jeans and/or rubber boots. It might make a difference in how many bandaids you need afterward ;)
True re the bandaids. I was wearing heavy jeans the day my roo went for me and I still ended up with a good size gash to my left calf. I kept the dogs close for the next few days while I decided if he was going back to the breeder or not. I could see him eyeing me whenever I was in the yard, even hanging washing a good distance from him. then he went for my dogs. Back to the breeder he went.

I examine the birds at night with a headlamp, much easier to pluck them off the roost and give a look. I have my husband or one of the kids help with an extra flashlight in case I need it. If there's anyone that needs attention I take them off the roost early the next morning, or take them in the house with me that night.
That's a good idea.

Unfortunately that guy can draw blood even through my jeans. I've been told you can have their spurs filed down, but here in Los Angeles it's almost impossible to find a vet who will even see a chicken.

True re the bandaids. I was wearing heavy jeans the day my roo went for me and I still ended up with a good size gash to my left calf. I kept the dogs close for the next few days while I decided if he was going back to the breeder or not. I could see him eyeing me whenever I was in the yard, even hanging washing a good distance from him. then he went for my dogs. Back to the breeder he went.
This rooster is one that we adopted from a man who provides fertile eggs to elementary schools to hatch. At the end of the school year he had 130 chickens he needed to re-home. My husband and I each picked one out. My husband's turned out to be a rooster, but he was in love with "his" bird, so I couldn't return him. The thing is, he's very sweet and docile when he's just hanging out in the house with us. He turns into a completely different bird outside when he has ladies to impress (and my husband isn't there).

Back
Top Bottom