2013 Sebastopol Breeding/Gosling Thread

I think sometimes there is a difference in the shell makeup that makes some eggs more difficult to lose weight. Can you increase the cooling to 25-30 minutes and maybe mist them a couple of times during that period allowing them 100% time to dry before putting them back in?

I have done all that. I run it totally dry- humidity has been between 17 and 23% the entire time. I cool and mist daily starting at day 7,but I stopped misting the last few days hoping for some moisture loss. The fan runs constantly. I have duck eggs and other goose eggs that are losing weight, but the ones I REALLY REALLY want to hatch.....
sad.png

I could be wrong, but I think misting them actually promotes moisture loss. Seems counter-intuitive, I know. As the water on the surface of the egg evaporates, it helps cool it.

I have done all that. I run it totally dry- humidity has been between 17 and 23% the entire time. I cool and mist daily starting at day 7,but I stopped misting the last few days hoping for some moisture loss. The fan runs constantly. I have duck eggs and other goose eggs that are losing weight, but the ones I REALLY REALLY want to hatch.....
sad.png

Hi Ana

There is a procedure that we experimented with last year for this situation that resulted in a positive outcome. Its actually been exclusively on CottageRose's Seb Forum for some time as I wanted to do more work in this area before publication. I'm afraid I held back on other forums as our previous work has been copied without permissions
sad.png

http://sebastopolgeeselovers.freefo...chniques-to-increase-moisture-loss-t1076.html

I'm sure If you contact Vicky she'll quickly process your membership application

Its called Experimental Techniques to Increase Moisture Loss and on the Seb Forum's Incubation Threads.

Best of luck.

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think misting them actually promotes moisture loss. Seems counter-intuitive, I know. As the water on the surface of the egg evaporates, it helps cool it.

Hi Christine, Yes you are correct but the operative word is 'mist' not soak the surface of the shell. It's a little like the body sweating which helps cool the skin's surface by evaporation.

Pete
wink.png

Hi Ana

There is a procedure that we experimented with last year for this situation that resulted in a positive outcome. Its actually been exclusively on CottageRose's Seb Forum for some time as I wanted to do more work in this area before publication. I'm afraid I held back on other forums as our previous work has been copied without permissions
sad.png

http://sebastopolgeeselovers.freefo...chniques-to-increase-moisture-loss-t1076.html

I'm sure If you contact Vicky she'll quickly process your membership application

Its called Experimental Techniques to Increase Moisture Loss and on the Seb Forum's Incubation Threads.

Best of luck.

Pete
wink.png
Ok- found it. I have been a member there for a few years. I seem to really just have issues with access to THIS forum
lau.gif

I had only gone 2 days without misting, so I will go back to it.

So here's the thing- its a real mixed bag in there. Some are losing fine, and a few are not. Even ones set the exact same days from the same goose are losing weight differently. 2 different incubators, same story.

Going to try Pete's experiment when it gets dark....stay tuned!

Ana sorry you've had problems accessing the Seb forum.
Some people do and I'm not sure why.
My recommendations are to try using a different browser such as Firefox or Google Chrome.
I get much better results with most websites using the fore mentioned browsers
Dump your temporary internet files/cookies and try again.
Once signed in stay signed in.
Unfortunately even as the site administrator I can't do much about it.
It's a free forum and can be problematic for some people.

Back
Top Bottom