2013 Spring Seed Swap

bockbock2008

Why do they call me crazy??
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Southwest Indiana
Disclaimer
This swap is not endorsed by BYC (owner, website, staff, etc.). The BYC Staff is not responsible and will not mediate if something goes "wrong" or a deal goes "bad". If you choose to participate in a swap, it is best to know who you are swapping with and not to swap more than you can afford to lose.
The BYC Staff is sensitive because some past swaps have not worked out. We want our members to feel comfortable having fun with these and other social interactions, but please keep in mind that there were issues with some organizers and swappers not following through on their commitments in the past.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Entry deadline is Monday, February 25, 2012.
2. IF YOU DO NOT SEND A BUBBLE ENVELOPE YOU WILL NOT RECIEVE ONE IN RETURN, this is the only way anyone will not get one back. I'm the hostess but will also be swapping with you.
3. Each person is to send 6 packets of seeds decorated with spring theme. You can use stickers, color them, draw them, print your own seed packets ect. Be creative and have fun!! Seeds can be home grown, bought or store bought but must be from last year or present, nothing older. Seeds must be flowers, fruits, vegatables, trees, shrubs etc. send all 6 packets the same kind or 6 different packets of seeds your choice.
4. Put your byc name on your seed packets so i don't send you the same ones back. Make sure you put common names on them, color ect so we know what the seeds are. My only limit on seeds is try to stay away from invasives and nothing unknown.
5. After i get all the bubble envelopes in i will swap everyones stuff around. This means you will each recieve 6 different seed packets back.
6. Sign up below now and I'll update this as needed with who is in.
7. BE's are self addressed stamped bubble envelopes, please use 4 x 6" size approx. this is to protect your goodies, include a return label and return postage in stamps or money so i can send you your be's back in same envelopes. If postage is not included it will not be sent back until I recieve it. Send for postage what it costs to ship your be's plus a stamp to make sure it covers it. Once everyone is signed up I'll pm everyone my address to ship thier seeds too. If I missed anything please ask.
8. Please include in your envelope a note with things you are wanting and anything you don't want. I'm not going to guarantee 100% satisfaction, but I'll try to meet your requests.

Have fun!!!!
bockbock2008

DEADLINE' S-

Signups until February 25th.

To mail your BE's out to me is March 1st. Shipping early is fine.

I will ship back no later than March 14th. If i get them all early I will ship them back sooner.

IF I DON'T HAVE YOUR SEEDS BY MARCH 14TH, YOU WILL GET YOUR SEEDS BACK!!!

Participants include:

denafarm--
bockbock2008--
katsdar--

Last edited:
celebrate.gif
YAY!!!
wee.gif
IM IN!!
thumbsup.gif

I'm in,
and my tiller is eagerly awaiting spring, I just went to the store room yesterday and saw the ole girl shaking, I thought it was due to the cold but then realized it is from with drawls she can't wait to get started digging in the dirt and I will be right along with her.
lau.gif
I put a little dirt by her tines and she settled down, poor thing,

I have flower seeds from if anyone would like to look it up, Barnsley Gardens, it is a private resort in Adairsville Georgia, and the seeds I have are heirloom seeds they save every year, so I have a nice selection. I would like if anyone has any to swap, gourd seeds.
Thanks
p.s. when are we to send the seeds out? now or do we wait?

What kind of flowerseed do you have? I raised Birdhouse gourds for the first time last year. I dried them and partially painted two of the gourds...LOL One day I will get back to that project. I have those seeds.
I also have Hopi Blue Corn, Burgundy Okra and Chioggia Sea Pumpkin seed and several other heirlooms...I would LOVE to have some Luffa Sponge, Any Squash/Pumpkin/Melon, Red Corn breeds (Bloody Butcher maybe??) and any tomato seed.

I am currently studying Bakers Creek Heirloom seed catalog and comparing it to Sustainable Seeds, and a few other online seed companies.
Should we start list of Catalogs while we wait?

Anyone growing anything indoors? I decided to try growing tobacco in the window and am having some issues getting it to do much and I have Purple hull peas, Ginger and Some White corn in a pot. (Not doing so great either I may add)

Birdhouse Gourds

Corn in pot

Last edited:
I don't have any bird house gourds that is why I would love to have the seeds,
Here is the compiled list of seed I have from the Gardens with pics (pic didn't come through but you can goole and see the plants) and deffinations
MONEY PLANT

Biennial - Two Season Plant Height: 2 to 3 feet
Plant in a mostly sunny or partly shady location. Plants thrive with neglect in average garden soil. Cut stems of plants as soon as seed pods start to turn brown. Strip leaves from plants and hang small bunches of plants upside down in a dry, shady spot. You may also need to carefully rub off outside of pod to reveal the silvery center.

cypress vine
Seedlings must always be kept moist. They require full sun for good growth. This vine is one of the best plants for attracting hummingbirds, and is a vigorous grower. In warmer climates, this plant can be extremely invasive.

Bronze Fennel
reddish-bronze color Feathery foliage with sweet flavor. Nonbulbing type. Leaves are a wonderful addition to salads, cole slaws, and dressings. Seeds are used in baking. Overwinter in mild areas to produce fennel seed the second summer. Medicinal: Seeds are used in teas and tinctures as a digestive aid and expectorant.

Roof Iris
Grows fast and easily and quickly forms large clumps. Historically it has been planted on thatched roofs for which it is named. Its green foliage is neat, clean and lasts all summer. It has a high tolerance to drought.

Formosa Lily
From late August through early October, this lily bears eight or more 10-inch-long, deliciously scented, pristine-white trumpets (sometimes blushed pink on the outside) upon each stem. After the flowers fade, the stalks turn upward, opening elegantly as the seeds ripen and the pods dry to form a weather-resistant candelabra to adorn the winter garden or to use in dried arrangements

Cleome
Sow seed in cell packs or flats press into soil but do not cover. Needs light to germinate. Germination is in 10-21 days. Can direct sow after all danger of frost 1/4 inch deep and 3 inches apart. Thin to 18-24 inches apart.

Castor
The castor seed contains ricin, a toxic protein. Heating during the oil extraction process denatures and inactivates the protein. However, harvesting castor beans may be not without risk

Malva
The herb malva, or Althea sylvestris, has light-pink to purple flowers and grows in regions all over the world. Overseas, it is commonly referred to as "mallow." In the United State, however, the term "malva" is more common to distinguish it from the marshmallow plant. The young leaves of malva are harvested in the spring, and its blossoms are gathered in the summer and early fall. While both plant parts can be used to make many teas, the preparations made with flowers are more commonly found in the U.S. The word "malva" is derived from malakos, which in Greek means "soothing"; not surprisingly, malva tea is often given as a gargle to reduce throat inflammations. Drinking the tea also helps calm stomach and intestinal irritation. Warm compresses can draw toxins from pimples, abscesses and other skin inflammation while cool tea compresses can help to relive superficial burns. The active components of malva are mucilage (which is a viscous substance), tannins and malvin, a red pigment.
Preparation of the tea
Pour 1 cup of boiling water over1-2 tsp. of a combination of malva leaves and flowers. Cover the cup or teapot and steep for 10-15 min; strain. Drink up to 3 cups a day. To use the tea as a compress, add 2-4 tsp. of the herb per cup of boiling water; allow to cool. Tea prepared from a mixture of leaves and flowers should be a golden-brown color.
Therapeutic effect
Because of its high mucilage content, malva tea helps to alleviate inflammation and mouth irritation. The plant is also useful of its expectorant and cough-suppressing action. In addition, the malva plant contains tannins in the leaves and blossoms, which can relive the pain of stomach upset, relax intestinal spasms and soothe irritated skin.
For an earache
To alleviate ear pain and inflammation, boil 4 teaspoons of malva in 1 cup of water. Pour the brew into a small heatproof bowl and hold your ear over it until the liquid cools. Cover your head with a towel to help keep the vapors from escaping. Caution: Never leaves a child unsupervised during a steam treatment.
For the digestive system
To relive gastrointestinal complaints, take 2 tablespoons of malva wine a day. To make the wine, soak 1 ounce of flowers in 1 pint of white wine for 10 days; strain
Extra tip : To relive the pain of hemorrhoids and accelerate healing, make a tea with 2-4 tsp. of malva per cup of boiling water. Let the tea cool and use it to wash the area daily.

Purple Hye Bean
Vine grown in full sun or shade
No picture

Rose Campion
It's a stunning combination of magenta blooms with a soft silverish foliage. Rose campion, which is the most used name, is considered a short-lived perennial that will grow well in Zones 3 to 9 in a sunny or lightly shaded location.

Celosia
Full sun, plants in full or medium shade may not flower. Be sure to cover the seed completely with soil as light will prevent the seed from germinating.

White wild indigo
This native perennial plant is about 3-6' tall and forms an erect, sparsely branched bush. The preference is full sun and moist to slightly dry soil. Large specimens of this wildflower are very striking while they are in bloom. White Wild Indigo is poisonous. Like other wild indigos, this plant may take several years to reach blooming size, but it is long-lived. The roots increase nitrogen levels in the soil.

Stick Verbena
This lovely reseeding annual produce lavender-colored flower clusters atop tall wirey stems. It is a butterfly magnet. Seed collection is easy. Allow the flowers to fade naturally, the seeds will develop atop the stem, when mature it turns paper-bag brown. Remove the seed cluster and allot it to dry for about a week before crumbling.

Columbine
plant seeds in the fall and let nature take its course in the spring. Shade, will flower 2nd year.

4 O’clock
Four-o'clocks are considered as a perennial in the South

Holly hock
Plant in fall, loose soil.

I'm in,
and my tiller is eagerly awaiting spring, I just went to the store room yesterday and saw the ole girl shaking, I thought it was due to the cold but then realized it is from with drawls she can't wait to get started digging in the dirt and I will be right along with her.
lau.gif
I put a little dirt by her tines and she settled down, poor thing,

I have flower seeds from if anyone would like to look it up, Barnsley Gardens, it is a private resort in Adairsville Georgia, and the seeds I have are heirloom seeds they save every year, so I have a nice selection. I would like if anyone has any to swap, gourd seeds.
Thanks
p.s. when are we to send the seeds out? now or do we wait?
I feel for your tiller! My walk behind is going to the shop this week to get ready for spring. My DH can fix anything on a vehicle you throw at him but when it comes to small engines, he over thinks it. Before I plant, I will use the 5' pulverizer on the back of the tractor
big_smile.png
and then use the other one later in the summer.

I'm sure someone who signs up will be interested in heirloom flowers, as we alway have several that do. This is my 4th or 5th time at hosting a seed swap and there are usually anywhere from 12 to 30 people signed up. Usually, I ask that when you send in your seeds, you make me a note of anything in particular you are looking for (like the birdhouse gourd) because then, its all right there in front of me as I'm sorting. You just send in 6 packets of seeds and you will get 6 packets back, that were sent to me by other people.

I'm letting people sign up until the end of February so I will need to get your seeds early in March. You can send them early or hold off but I MUST have them before March 14.

I have started onion seeds for transplant but that's it so far. In about 2 weeks, I will start the broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. I got a new greenhouse this year that is 7' x 7' x 12' that I will be putting together soon also.

I am in...Down here in AZ we had some unseasonably cold weather...few days ago low of 17, but my tomatoes survived thanks to my "bad dog" getting through the fence and trampling down to try to get a bird in my empty duck pen. Today we are now at 70 so far at 1 pm our time, this weekend close to 80...I might have to stake those tomato plants! I am awaiting my tiller guy to come and till that duck pen as this is our cold weather garden time, he was supposed to be here this past Tuesday, but he has the "crud." I graciously said "No problem." I don't want anywhere near that. :)

Heres my indoor make do garden LOL Tobacco under the cola top and Peas and corn in the pot and Ginger in the yellow bucket.
I also have peppers and peanuts started n peat pots but right now it just looks like dirt...so I will save you the boredom until they come forth!
OH and I have Garlic in a bathtub outside!

Back
Top Bottom