2014 breeding season begins, post your results

I tried out my incubator to see if it worked right. The temp, humidity, and egg turner worked right. It holds 48 eggs. I have to run it for a week, to make sure everything is working. So far so good!!

I tried out my incubator to see if it worked right. The temp, humidity, and egg turner worked right. It holds 48 eggs. I have to run it for a week, to make sure everything is working. So far so good!!
Nice looking bator what brand is it? does the fan have a cover over it? seen a few scalped peas here when the fan had no cover , wee peas are taller than chicken chicks so they can hit their head on an uncovered fan.

Never seen one of those before, looks pretty cool!

-Kathy

For me it's all about the effort it will take to get the right packaging and making the trip to the post office. Maybe someone could post some info on how best to ship pea eggs.

-Kathy

I've shipped quite a few in the past. None ever got broken that I know of.
fl.gif
You'll want to go Priority shipping or even express to hopefully get them there quickly. Both can be pricey, especially express, but at least you get a guaranteed delivery time, w/ priority there is no guarantee. I don't like packing peanuts because they settle, and I don't use bubble wrap, because I read somewhere that it can block the eggs ability to "breathe". I actually go to walmart or the dollar store and get one of those mattress toppers made out of foam. I wrap each egg individually in this foam(good thick wrapping) then I use some tape to keep them bundled in it, then all the eggs are wrapped in the foam together, this will keep them from bouncing around and banging into each other. Tape that and you end up with one big foam wrapped bundle, this goes in the box and more foam is added to fill up any empty space. I deliver to the post office, as opposed to having them picked up. The less they are "handled" by others the better. That's how I've always done it, I know we had one hatch in OR that was shipped from PA, but the less distance the better,IMHO. I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts on the bubble wrap and egg breathing thing????

I've had MANY eggs shipped that were bubble wrapped and I've always had good hatches. I even had pea eggs shipped from Florida to Montana and one hatched out of 3 sent! The eggs shipped to me that weren't bubble wrapped have bad hatch rates and usually rolling air cells. I like your idea of the foam though. :)

I've had MANY eggs shipped that were bubble wrapped and I've always had good hatches. I even had pea eggs shipped from Florida to Montana and one hatched out of 3 sent! The eggs shipped to me that weren't bubble wrapped have bad hatch rates and usually rolling air cells. I like your idea of the foam though.
smile.png

Good to know! Every time I would see someone saying they wrapped their eggs in bubble wrap, I would cringe and think "suffocating eggs". Now I know that is not the case, another old wives tale bites the dust! I do like the foam, it's that stuff they call "Egg crate" or "Egg carton" foam, works really well.

I like the idea of wrapped/padded eggs in box with packing material and then putting that box in a larger box with padding all around.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom