2014 breeding season begins, post your results

My neighbor has a pair of peacocks that are now two years old. She doesn't have shelter for them they normally sleep in a tree in her back yard. But all winter I have noticed her peacocks spend most of their days at my coops and free ranging with my flock of chickens. They now are sleeping on top of my run unless they make it in the coop in time for lock down in which of coarse I let them stay. My question is do you think I have a very good chance of her laying her eggs in one of my coops or shelters? Also when do they start to lay? I am in Maryland. Not only do I have her peacocks but I also have her entire flock of guineas. My feed bill this winter has went from $65.00 every two weeks to $65.00 a week. I don't mind feeding or caring for them but I am hoping to get two or three peachicks. I have been trying to hatch some this will be my third year. First batch from ebay was rotten, Second batch from local man were free but not fertile. So do any of you think I should expect to find some eggs?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

If you see them mate and she start laying set her eggs under a brood hen or let her set them. Lord knows you are entitled to some of the eggs after sheltering and feeding them all winter.

My neighbor has a pair of peacocks that are now two years old. She doesn't have shelter for them they normally sleep in a tree in her back yard. But all winter I have noticed her peacocks spend most of their days at my coops and free ranging with my flock of chickens. They now are sleeping on top of my run unless they make it in the coop in time for lock down in which of coarse I let them stay. My question is do you think I have a very good chance of her laying her eggs in one of my coops or shelters? Also when do they start to lay? I am in Maryland. Not only do I have her peacocks but I also have her entire flock of guineas. My feed bill this winter has went from $65.00 every two weeks to $65.00 a week. I don't mind feeding or caring for them but I am hoping to get two or three peachicks. I have been trying to hatch some this will be my third year. First batch from ebay was rotten, Second batch from local man were free but not fertile. So do any of you think I should expect to find some eggs?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

A pair of 2 year olds may very well lay some fertile eggs, but it is not a guarantee at that age. If she does lay I doubt it will be a lot of eggs, my 2 year olds generally lay a couple, but nothing like the mature peahens. They like to lay their eggs at sunset, so if you can coax her in at dinner time and lock her in for the night, she should lay the eggs in your coop. If not she will most probably make herself a hidden nest and do everything she can to keep you from finding it, they are like that.
smile.png
A 2 year old's eggs will also probably be on the small side, so depending on how big your chicken's eggs are it could be tough to tell them apart. Most pea eggs are a very light tan to off-white color. It was very nice of you to offer them shelter, and I'm actually kind of surprised they chose to use your coop, generally you have to fight them to get them to use a shelter that you have provided. They seem to often prefer sitting outside in the freezing rain and snow.

My peacock and oldest peahen always went in my chicken coop during cold weather. They started doing this all on their own. But I have a 14 foot tall coop with rafters for them to get on. They roost right above where I have heat lamps hanging. They are very smart. But their free ranging days ended last month when I finished the flight pen and penned them up for breeding season. The one year I didn't pen them before they started laying she laid in the haystack on the side of the barn. We didn't find the nest until she started sitting. So I let them free range with the chickens during the winter then pen them back up in the spring.

My largest coop is 12.5' by 16.5' and 14' high. She usually roosts on top of the run right by the door unless it is really cold then she just joins the rest inside. We have had a terrible cold winter this year. I have found lately that the male will go home for the night but she insists on staying that is why I was wondering if she could be laying. The pea eggs I received last year seemed to be fatter at the big end and pointy at the other. I knew them well from my chicken eggs. I hope hers are easy to tell apart. My neighbor did ask me if I would share them with her so she is well aware of what I do for her birds.

I hope she wants to sell what you share or you'll have more mouths the feed ! :/
But I'm glad they have someone like you.

Last edited:
I saw something funny at my peafowl pen today. My 8 month old peacock was fanning his tail running up behind the peahen and she continued to ignore him. This continued for about 5 minutes. She still ignored him . So he reached down and pulled out one of her tail feathers.

I found out from my neighbor that she is 3 yrs old and he is 2 1/2 yrs old. He had several eyes on his tail. She has been calling all morning (like a honk). Is there any signs I should be looking for to let me know she is about to lay?

I found out from my neighbor that she is 3 yrs old and he is 2 1/2 yrs old. He had several eyes on his tail. She has been calling all morning (like a honk). Is there any signs I should be looking for to let me know she is about to lay?
Mine usually call when they're looking for their buddy or see a predator.

-Kathy

Thank you for responding. I thought that might be it but then I found her under a bush with alot of little holes dug out but as soon as she saw the chickens she went running to join them. Also why does a hen always fan her tail too? He was doing it and it looked as if she was showing him she could too.

I saw my peacock try and breed my pied hen but she said she wasn't ready. I think they will start laying earlier this year than last.

Back
Top Bottom