2014 breeding season begins, post your results

I'm surprised though that you could identify my incubator just looking at the bottom it is a LG!
That's because I have had 2 LGs for years (that I added PC fans to so they would be forced air incubators and more evenly heated, but I used them only for hatching). I hatched out somewhere around 1600-1700 Guinea Fowl keets plus a bunch of Silkie and Showgirl chicks, some Turkey poults and lots of Quail chicks in them, oh and a batch of Ringneck Pheasants too. So believe me, I know what the bottoms of LGs look like lol... because I have soaked, bleached and scrubbed mine clean after every hatch during the 4 yrs I used them for hatching (probably somewhere between 75-100 times, lol). I don't use them any more tho, too much temp fluctuation, and too much stress and hassle for me. Plus there's not enough capacity in them for large hatches, it's hard to get the RH up to 75-80% where I like it/and keep it for hatching keets, and I don't really like using them for hatching out bigger chicks and poults because they can get hurt from pecking at the fan (even tho it has small mesh hardware cloth covering it) or they can also get burnt by the heating element.

So yah, I know LGs well, I'm just not a fan of them... lol.

Peeps,you are right on about them LG"s. I threw 2 or three in the garbage years ago. You would think they would be the same as hovabators as similar as they are. But they sure arent. Blew my mind along time ago. I still run hovabators and love them. I just hatched out some pea babies from a white girl and green boy today. (3 outta 6 haha) but Im waiting to see what comes out of a green hen and green boy. I have 4 eggs from her I just put in a couple days ago. I mainly incubate duck eggs and those incubators sure have been good. I like the ones with the fans the best.
I love my Hovabators too, I just could not let myself hatch out anything in them and get the insides all gooey, stained, stinky and yucky, lol. I've incubated LOTS of eggs (sometimes double stacked on the egg turners lol) in my 2 1588s tho with the auto egg turners doing all the work for me, with great results. Hovabators are very stable and easy to use, plus I love the big clear top they have to look thru. When it was time for lockdown I'd just move the eggs over to the LGs, and let the hatch mess happen in there, not in my sacred 1588s, lol.

Unfortunately I just did not have very good luck with incubating Peafowl eggs in them last season or at the start of this season either, (with the eggs on their sides and being hand turned 5 times a day)... so I had to drag out the Dickey cabinet last month, and try to keep a grip on my hatching addiction, lol.

I already lost my grip I think, cuz I keep setting every Peafowl egg that I don't sell, and I also recently hatched out 50+ Coturnix Quail chicks too lol
hmm.png

I have a Hovabator that I was using in the early '80's full of guinea eggs and it hold the temperature nicely, well until DW turns on the ceiling fan directly above it and it goes up to 105.
ep.gif

DW has two Hovabators that are about 15 years old full of guinea eggs, they seem to be doing ok so far. I also have my grandmothers Surehatch redwood incubator that I converted from kerosene to forced air with Hovabator parts and turner back in the '80's also, it's full of duck eggs now as it holds RH really well. Still kicking myself for selling the double wide Surehatch from grandma way back when.

Last year we bought a HatchCraft second hand and used my old, '80's, egg turners in it, really like that cabinet! Also have a matching HatchCraft hatcher, very easy to sterilize after every hatch. Tomorrow FedEx should deliver my new Sportsman,
ya.gif
got peas, ducks, and guineas all ready to go in it.

Bronze black shoulder chick hatched today, but sadly two fingers of his right foot are sticky, is there anything i can do for him?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom