2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Well the chick has to orient itself in the egg correctly for hatching and turning the egg will make that harder for it to do. I have had to help a peachick out before because it was hatching the wrong way and couldn't get out and I don't want to do that again. I am not a peahen and this is a very special egg so I need to know what day to stop turning. I would rather stop turning than keep on turning because that is the method that seems to work well for everyone and I need the best method for this egg.
Day 24 we lockdown. Almost all hatch on day 26 for us.

I have searched for this tag numbers in my country but i can't find it, i wish this chick made it to the end since he don't looks well today.
There should be wing tags on the adults in the webbing. Run your hand down the wing leading edge and you should feel the metal tag close to the body. If they are Brads or Joshs I would think they would be tagged.

Day 24 we lockdown. Almost all hatch on day 26 for us.

Thank you I will go write that down!
thumbsup.gif

There should be wing tags on the adults in the webbing. Run your hand down the wing leading edge and you should feel the metal tag close to the body. If they are Brads or Joshs I would think they would be tagged.
Oh sorry i didn't understand you at first, i will check them soon.

So Sad--
sad.png
Thought my chicken pen and house were bullet/predator proof! I was wrong.
hu.gif
Some thing has taken a chicken every night for 4 nights. Thought it I was losing them before I was closing up the house and gate for the night- but...again, I was wrong.
idunno.gif
Not only was a little masked bandit getting through a new 3"inch gap in the "special order, 1 inch chainlink fence" , but he was getting into the hen house and taking a chicken right off the perch.
somad.gif
Now I discovered that last night he reached right under the sitting Peahen and took one of the 6 eggs!!!
hit.gif
When I figured it out this morning, had some one work on fixing the gaps- but I've just put every one to bed and looked at the repair job...... ughhh. Don't think the repair man understands the tenacity of a hungry coon. He used twist ties! I think Im sleeping in the hen house tonight.
rant.gif
No body is getting those pea eggs!

Use fencing staples to staple some hog paneling over the chicken wire. That will keep them from pulling up the chicken wire. Or use some lead and that will fix it with no worries.

Last edited:
Congrats ! I hatched out some babies two weeks ago from a white girl and green boy.( gave away 10 I kept the 2 that were different looking). . I only got 4 eggs that are in the bator from my pure greens that should hatch any day now but hey look all fertile when I candled them. Happy I got my hen green to produce the first year I have her.

Last edited:
A couple days ago i located a hen that had been flying in from the nest in the woods, i decided to pull her eggs and put them under a broody as i felt uncomfortable with her sitting where she was, i figured she just started sitting as i had pulled her eggs last month and she musta just started laying again.

When i candled the first 2 eggs they looked fresh but the 3rd egg was dark as it look as if it was a chick, i candled the other 2 and they were also fresh looking which left me scratching my head because when i candled the dark egg i swearer i saw movement so i decided to float test the fresh looking eggs and i will be darn if they didn't all float and, now i am really confused, i sat down staring at these eggs trying to figure out what the heck was going on, then it hit me, this was not the same hen i pulled eggs from, it is a different one had to be from the 2012 hatch i have a 2011 hatch that looks almost identical to her with the white marking on her throat.
barnie.gif

This morning i have a pretty little IB split white baby from that clutch and thank my lucky stars i found her, had she stayed on the nest with a peeping chick trying to hatch the old eggs she could have been killed where she was at before my dogs could get to her.

PS THE EGG THAT WAS FIXING TO HATCH ALSO FLOATED , so when i made the statement to float eggs to test if they were good i was wrong cause the almost ready to hatch egg floated also, gonna check some guinea eggs soon to see if they float at the halfway during incubation and will report back, may have to do a daily test in the future if the halfway egg does not float.

Back
Top Bottom