2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Really? most of mine don't make it to day 25 before they hatch , strange how all ours hatch at different rates, same thing with my guineas they are always early, many times they start hatching in the turner.

Woah, wait a minute. I haven't hatched a pea egg yet, I was referring to the chart you posted earlier and my experience with ducks, chickens, and guineas at that stage. Sorry for the confusion, but when I candle the eggs and they look like day 24 on the chart they look a long way from hatching to me. Then all of a sudden the are hatching with feathers that I could not see any sign of earlier. It's just awesome.

Really? most of mine don't make it to day 25 before they hatch , strange how all ours hatch at different rates, same thing with my guineas they are always early, many times they start hatching in the turner.

My guineas do too, I thought they were just being weird!

It just amazes me how much the eggs develop between day 24 and 28. It always looks like it is still a floating embryo on 24 then bam, it's a feathered bird.

My first two eggs of the year were a bust, one was a slow starter, I almost pitched it as it looked like it was clear after five days but finally took off. They both quit somewhere around three weeks, one almost went term. Those were in my HatchCraft in regular egg turners. My next batch are in the same bator and are due Sunday/Monday, I candled out 25%. Everything after that is in my new Sportsman and laying on their side.
My pea eggs are like Zaz's, most hatch early, usually day 26 or 27.

-Kathy

My guineas do too, I thought they were just being weird!
Ours are weird together
hugs.gif

What do you all think of these, day 14 one looks overdone
hide.gif
for it's age
idunno.gif

They were collected on 5/18
and set under broody on 5/22 , now these were stored in a 65 degree room so i know there is no way they were developing when i pulled them and still developed after being cold for 4 days, sure got me scratching my head.

Pretty sure the first one is dead cause i can'rt see any veining at all but the second one looks way far developed for 14 days.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
My pea eggs are like Zaz's, most hatch early, usually day 26 or 27.

-Kathy

Mine hatch out early too but I thought it was because I can't count. Like today, we have peas, ducks, and turkey all due on the ninth. DW heard peeping and we found one duck piping and one turkey zipping. Everything is in the hatcher now, I hope that four days is not too early for lockdown on the peas if they really do go 28 days.

What do you all think of these, day 14 one looks overdone
hide.gif
for it's age
idunno.gif

They were collected on 5/18
and set under broody on 5/22 , now these were stored in a 65 degree room so i know there is no way they were developing when i pulled them and still developed after being cold for 4 days, sure got me scratching my head.

Pretty sure the first one is dead cause i can'rt see any veining at all but the second one looks way far developed for 14 days.
idunno.gif

The 1st egg looks dead to me too. I just candled 3 of my eggs that I have in the 'bator... they are on day 12.5 and I see veins and movement.

The 2nd eggs looks like it's on day 23 or 24 to me judging by the way the air cell is shaped and starting to slant... looks like it's just about ready for lockdown. Very weird that it's only been under a broody for 14 days
idunno.gif

The 1st egg looks dead to me too. I just candled 3 of my eggs that I have in the 'bator... they are on day 12.5 and I see veins and movement.

The 2nd eggs looks like it's on day 23 or 24 to me judging by the way the air cell is shaped and starting to slant... looks like it's just about ready for lockdown. Very weird that it's only been under a broody for 14 days
idunno.gif
I know it is very strange to see i will leave that one under the broody till it hatches, she needs a break anyhow this is her second set and she will not get off the nest till they hatch or blow up.
sickbyc.gif

Congrads on the development can't wait to see photos of them

Well today is day 20. Yesterday I was freaking out because the chick was pecking a lot at the egg from what I could hear. Today I hear some pecking but not as much as last night and not as loud. I hope it won't tire itself out pecking this early. Sunday or Monday it will go into lockdown but last night candling showed it is still too early for lockdown so I don't know why it keeps pecking. I am happy to know that it is alive but don't want it to tire itself out too soon.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom