2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Here is exactly what he posted previously:

I finally got the report back from what killed Calypso. The cause of death was from 2 unidentified parasites that caused two diseases Acute Necrotizing Hemorrhagic Enterocolitis, and Multifocal Periportal Hepatitis. They recommended Safeguard to prevent the parasites.

No one called me a liar, but no one is taking my word for it. Thora is getting wormed and Jadea I tried but she wouldn't swallow it and I didn't have a tube back then, and the older two are two wild.
Oh well that is different isn't it,
th.gif

Perhaps if you paid attention you would have learn from that weekley question (how do i worm my birds and what do i use) well most put wormer in their water, i put it in scrmbled eggs and others just shoot it down their throat don't matter if they are wild you are their care take and it is up to you to do just that , we work these things out with our charges, not forget about them cause they are hard to do.

You're right we don't know the exact cause of death all we know is she had a hole in the back of her head she died a week later. Most likely that is your cause of death. Wasn't expecting an earthworm to be eaten and then transmitting two parasites and diseases to my bird. Most birds can eat earthworms and you don't have to worry about it. Do you catch all of your birds once a year for about 3 to 4 weeks to worm them?
All of my 45 of turkeys and peafowl get wormed at least twice a year, which requires catching them and treating them at least one day for the cecal worm (causes blackhead), then 10 days later. Sometimes I'll worm them all five days in a row (for capillary worms), but not again in ten days. And if they're "off", like *both* of your hens were, they get wormed for five days in a row *and* they get metronidazole, period.

If you can't figure out how to medicate them orally, just put it in the water! Geeze...

-Kathy

You're right we don't know the exact cause of death all we know is she had a hole in the back of her head she died a week later. Most likely that is your cause of death. Wasn't expecting an earthworm to be eaten and then transmitting two parasites and diseases to my bird. Most birds can eat earthworms and you don't have to worry about it. Do you catch all of your birds once a year for about 3 to 4 weeks to worm them?
You need to do some homework on that grasshopper. Peafowl and turkeys should not be allowed to eat earthworms. Chickens seem to tolerate it better, but even they can get get sick from eating earthworms.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804570/coping-with-blackhead

Last edited:

As a matter of fact here at the Palace YES WE DO TWICE a year. End of February or very early March all birds gets safe gard for 3 days in a row in drinking water,ten days later once again.Then each bird is caught and ivomec at 2cc's is dropped on their backs right where the neck meets the back underneath the feathers. Same procedure is repeated normally in late September,first the safe gard then the ivomec at which time each bird is picked up and moved to inside pens. If you have a sick bird that will need treatments over several days it just pays to put the bird inside a dog crate,limiting it's mobility and makes them much easier to catch for vaccinations. Captive birds are 100% dependent on their keepers for everything from water to feed,housing and health. Since they cannot communicate with us telling us what's wrong it is up to us to intervene,plain and simple.Perhaps if you consider having to catch all your birds just one time a year is too much work,maybe you shouldn't even own peafowl?

Back
Top Bottom