2014 breeding season begins, post your results

We have the welfare of over 100 adult breeding aged peas here. Many I have hatched from babies and watched as they grew and changed. If it wasn't for my welfare none of them would reach breeding age. Although I don't make pets out of my birds I get pleasure in knowing I'm giving them a better quality of life and protection from predators compared to if they were loose in the wild.If I'm too lazy to do such an easy task as worming them then I don't deserve to own them,plain and simple. Call PETA or the Humane Society on me. My adrenaline rush come for about 12 times each year when we hatch peachicks here,once each week. Celebrations of life proves that I'm doing MANY things correctly with my birds,from diet-breeding,care,nutrition,and hatching then rearing. it's a silent yet very humbling experience here as I'm sure many others of us experience.Maybe I don't consider catching birds to help them work,per say? Someone has to do it, the birds can't by themselves.

Catching and worming some of my horses is more difficult than doing peas, yet once a year all 14 get haltered and wormed for 5 days in a row. I dread doing it, but I keeps them healthy. IMNSHO, worming *any* animal is well within the ability level of a healthy teen in 4H or FFA.

-Kathy

Yea when we had our herd we had the vet out here once a year for tube worming, vaccinations and coggins test run, some acted fine others thought a booger was after them.oh and lets not forget the hoof trims

Soo pretty I love leopard appaloosas but I don't know if I could handle having such a big animal. I have always loved horses though. I was close to growing up around them but not close enough. I wish I had the experience of that.

Today I took a video of taking an egg from Damsel. She is insisting on going broody on every single egg she lays now. She will lay one egg and sit on it. She was so mad hissing and pecking at me and after I took her egg she sat back on the nest like there was still something there and she would defend the nest like there was still something there. I had to make her move again at least twice until she stared at the nest and realized there was nothing there. I feel bad taking the egg when she really wants to hatch it but I can't afford losing her.

Just moved eggs from incubator to the hatcher.Finally this one looks to be numbers wise where it should be.Only had 2 clears out of all the IB eggs. Zaz if you consider taking the white Thangette wild-child we should reach Zaz#6 with this hatch.Tomorrow looks to be a great Merlot hatch-a-long here. Anyone else Celebrating life this weekend?

Just moved eggs from incubator to the hatcher.Finally this one looks to be numbers wise where it should be.Only had 2 clears out of all the IB eggs. Zaz if you consider taking the white Thangette wild-child we should reach Zaz#6 with this hatch.Tomorrow looks to be a great Merlot hatch-a-long here. Anyone else Celebrating life this weekend?
Just one white one? yea that will work i just don't want all whites cause i got 17 already not counting this years hatch

As a matter of fact here at the Palace YES WE DO TWICE a year. End of February or very early March all birds gets safe gard for 3 days in a row in drinking water,ten days later once again.Then each bird is caught and ivomec at 2cc's is dropped on their backs right where the neck meets the back underneath the feathers. Same procedure is repeated normally in late September,first the safe gard then the ivomec at which time each bird is picked up and moved to inside pens. If you have a sick bird that will need treatments over several days it just pays to put the bird inside a dog crate,limiting it's mobility and makes them much easier to catch for vaccinations. Captive birds are 100% dependent on their keepers for everything from water to feed,housing and health. Since they cannot communicate with us telling us what's wrong it is up to us to intervene,plain and simple.Perhaps if you consider having to catch all your birds just one time a year is too much work,maybe you shouldn't even own peafowl? 

In the drinking water? All I could was in pellet form!

Yep this is the kind I buy:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/safe-guardreg;-goat-dewormer-125-ml

I put 3 cc in 1 gallon of drinking water for 3 days then wait 10 days and do the same thing again. Each day you empty the water and put fresh medicated water in there. I mix the medicine in with the water in a big jug in the kitchen. I shake it up until it is cloudy and then go to the pen and pour it in a water container.

Back
Top Bottom