2014 breeding season begins, post your results

How is the pied peachick?
fl.gif
Lost the pied chick but the dark pied or split white is going to be fine.

Just moved eggs from incubator to the hatcher.Finally this one looks to be numbers wise where it should be.Only had 2 clears out of all the IB eggs. Zaz if you consider taking the white Thangette wild-child we should reach Zaz#6 with this hatch.Tomorrow looks to be a great Merlot hatch-a-long here. Anyone else Celebrating life this weekend?
Yep, hatching as we speak. Six out so far.

What I do is take water away from all my birds the day before they will get Safe Gard,,I only mix one gallon at a time. I then pour some in their water bowl after I feed them and watch keeping track of who has drank,ect. Most of the time they will drink first especially if they ate feed from the night before,or during the daytime with no water at all. Once one pen drinks,I then move that water dish to the next pen,and add more if needed from my mixed gallon. I continue untill all pens has drank,and I do this 3 days in a row.
AugeredIN,,I forgot but this time for hatch I put eggs in on a Tuesday. Have 4 pipped already and a bunch rocking back and forth so tomorrow the bottle will be uncorked and I'm watching NASCAR in the garage while having a merlot hatch-a-long.My first Bronze and Midnights of 2014 hopefully will hatch this time.

Last edited:
My 2 yr old white hen laid her first egg today. I'm sooo proud of her. It looked huge in the guinea nest surrounded by guinea eggs.

Been busy today...Walked into the guest room to check on the egg. I saw splatter on it and STILL did not understand what was going on. I thought the peachick was hatching and got something on the outside of the egg. It took me a while to let it sink in that for 22 days I have been incubating a bad egg. Even after I agreed that it was indeed bad and the splatter smelled horrible, I STILL wanted to keep it! I thought at first that I saw the tip of the peachick's beak sticking out but it was just some of the egg from where a hole in the egg formed for all of the nasty stuff to come out of. I am lucky it didn't explode. It took a lot to bring it outside and crush it. Aaron was with me. I got lucky and was standing where I couldn't smell the egg, but Aaron caught all the smell when it was cracked and he was like "Ohhhhh uh sick!" Grey liquid poured out of the egg and a very small chunk of something, what we figured was the chick. It was so tiny just a small chunk so it died very early. So many things sold me on the idea that this egg was good. It stopped smelling after incubating it more, I "thought" I saw it move, the incubator I think makes pecking noises when it is working and I "thought" it was the egg. When candling the egg I thought it was dark but I didn't want to say it was bad. I should have tossed it when I first got it back from Aaron after my trip and he said it had started smelling a little.

Ohhhhhh I wanted that Burmese so badly!!
hit.gif
I was so lucky to get those eggs from Doug and I was worried the whole time that they wouldn't make it because I kept thinking of my last experience with shipped eggs.
sad.png
I still keep having to tell myself that I don't have to go check on the egg. There is no egg. I feel like my peahen Damsel. Today I found her sitting on one egg and I made her get up and I took it from her. She lay back down on the nest like the egg was still there. I had to make her keep getting up until finally she stared at the nest and just kept looking for the egg in the nest. I feel like that.
sad.png

I don't know what to do now I guess tomorrow I will clean the incubator (it didn't get messy from the bad egg but I should still clean it). Other than that I don't know...
idunno.gif

Yeah that is what I keep thinking I might not be ready for such a nice bird yet. I had a feeling in the back of my mind that nothing would hatch but I didn't want to believe it. Man I have had zero luck hatching any shipped egg so far. I definitely have a huge respect for those that can hatch shipped peafowl eggs because so far they don't seem to ever hatch for me.

Yeah that is what I keep thinking I might not be ready for such a nice bird yet. I had a feeling in the back of my mind that nothing would hatch but I didn't want to believe it. Man I have had zero luck hatching any shipped egg so far. I definitely have a huge respect for those that can hatch shipped peafowl eggs because so far they don't seem to ever hatch for me.
hugs.gif

Does rocking B have the greens you are wanting? I think perhaps it would be best to get green eggs that were not shipped, i never seen an egg get rotten so fast even my eggs that don't develop never look that bad, IMO that egg musta been pretty old to start with
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom