2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Here it is! The first one!
love.gif
Is this a Texas peachick?
love.gif

I've seen chicken eggs and duck eggs go well past their due dates, so I guess it's possible? My pea egg experience is limited, but I can say that my pea eggs have never taken longer than 28 days. Can you candle them?

-Kathy
Lifting the Hen's tail daily, to check for chicks has already got her pretty mad at me. I can't imagine she would take kindly to me pulling an egg out to candle it. Maybe tomorrow when she leaves the nest for her daily break. When handling the eggs at this point, what is the protocol? If I rotate the egg or tip it, will I kill the chick? I picked them up once to clean the nest a week or so ago. I was extremely careful to not change their position, just up , then back down. Is there I chance I killed them then? The chickens had been roosting on a perch over the peahen and had really messed up her and the nest- so was forced to clean. Have since closed off the perch over her, so no more chickens mess. The last two years, I hardly paid attention to the pea egg due date- since I was'nt sure exactly which day the hen started sitting. Now I know, and I'm a mess! Ignorance is bliss!

still no internet, so posting from phone. Day 27, three hatched, five external pips and many more internal. My five eggs from DylansMom all show signs of life!

Back
Top Bottom