2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Here are my latest babies, not a great hatch but at least I got four, one, Sticky, isn't shown here but it's looking healthy and is doing fine.

Probable Pied?

I was really hoping for a white but it may be a Cameo?

Dunno, IB?

The IB hatched on day 26, the Cameo and Pied on day 27, none on the 28th and still four moving on day 29. Still waiting..... would you just wait or???

Here are my latest babies, not a great hatch but at least I got four, one, Sticky, isn't shown here but it's looking healthy and is doing fine.

Probable Pied?

Dunno, IB?

The IB hatched on day 26, the Cameo and Pied on day 27, none on the 28th and still four moving on day 29. Still waiting..... would you just wait or???

clap.gif
Looks like a pretty pied, a bs or cameo bs(those to are hard to tell apart that early) and an IB. #2 does not look like a cameo barred wing, they are tan not yellow with the salmon colored wing feathers, that is a bs thing. As for the late ones, can you tell if they have pipped internally? If it was me I'd intervene at this point, they have been in for 29 days, their companions have hatched successfully, I'd go ahead and try to help them out. There is good info in here on assisted hatching, I've used it more than once.

Last edited:
All these chicks came from the Pied pen but the Cameo hens in there may carry some Black Shoulder so it will be fun to watch.

Sticky had help hatching on day 27. It had a hard time because it kept getting stuck on the floor on it's left wing. We finally washed it down and put it in a small box so it could not fall over and now it is running around eating just like the others.

One of the remaining eggs I thought may have internally piped so I made a small inspection hole in the air cell to get a look. It still has not piped so I am keeping a piece of tape over the hole and waiting. I can not tell in the daylight if it is moving or not. I guess I could take it into the closet, I will later today and see if it is still moving. If it had piped I would have given it a shot trying to help it out even if it would only be a learning experience. So far everything I have helped out has survived except one guinea, I think the stress was too much for it.

My vet worries about stress in birds. She told me that sometimes birds after having blood work done and being transported to and from the office will stress out and die before they get home.

All these chicks came from the Pied pen but the Cameo hens in there may carry some Black Shoulder so it will be fun to watch.

Sticky had help hatching on day 27. It had a hard time because it kept getting stuck on the floor on it's left wing. We finally washed it down and put it in a small box so it could not fall over and now it is running around eating just like the others.

One of the remaining eggs I thought may have internally piped so I made a small inspection hole in the air cell to get a look. It still has not piped so I am keeping a piece of tape over the hole and waiting. I can not tell in the daylight if it is moving or not. I guess I could take it into the closet, I will later today and see if it is still moving. If it had piped I would have given it a shot trying to help it out even if it would only be a learning experience. So far everything I have helped out has survived except one guinea, I think the stress was too much for it.

My vet worries about stress in birds. She told me that sometimes birds after having blood work done and being transported to and from the office will stress out and die before they get home.

In order to get a Black Shouldered chick, both parents need to be carrying BS. So it may be more than the Cameo hens that are hiding something. Sticky is a good name, I have hatched my fair share of stickys!
gig.gif
Birds do stress and Many people look at me like I am nuts for it, but I transport my birds inside cardboard boxes, Duct taped shut. I have used all kinds if cages over the years and believe it or not the boxes seem to work the best. The darkness keeps them calm and if they do jump at all, the cardboard gives enough that it doesn't injure them. When I sell birds I package them up in the cardboard boxes and the people buying think I'm crazy, they brought their nice wire dog crate along to use. Well I have used wire dog crates plenty of times and almost always ended up with a bird who's head or beak was bloody by the time we got home. Everyone reports that the birds come out of the cardboard box calm and looking good. They are not air tight those cardboard boxes, but everyone insists I poke an air hole or 2 in them so the bird doesn't suffocate.
lol.png
With birds darkness = less stress.

Probable Pied?

Dunno, IB?

Pretty chicks, congrats
clap.gif

Oh, all the babies are so beautiful.
love.gif
Sorry for everyone that has had losses. Sounds like a quite a few of us are having a rough year. I had a few die during pip this year, both I think suffocated after cutting themselves off from their zip. Had some not make it to hatch, pretty sure it was humidity problems after doing eggtopsy's. I've found that lower humidity seems to work best for me. I usually do about 45-50 until the last 2-3 days but i was trying 50-60 and seemed to have a lot of problems with it. Doing the lower humidity again and the chicks are just popping right out. I had one die of yolk sack infection a few weeks ago. I waited too long I think before trying to help him. Kathy was really really awesome and helped me learn how to tube feed but it was just too late. Hopefully if it happens again I will catch it in time.

My current batch. All the other batches went off to the families that had been waiting for them.

Here are the ones from my silver pied girls and blackshoulder male. They all have a white spot on their heads.

Zaphod, Humma Kavula, and Slartibartfast , I love this one

Slartibartfast, his white spot is on the back of his neck.

Slartibartfast

Zaphod, Humma Kavula, and Slartibartfast

Zaphod and his buddies.

I had a chick decide to take the scenic route when he zipped, went all the way around the long way.

In order to get a Black Shouldered chick, both parents need to be carrying BS. So it may be more than the Cameo hens that are hiding something. Sticky is a good name, I have hatched my fair share of stickys!
gig.gif
Birds do stress and Many people look at me like I am nuts for it, but I transport my birds inside cardboard boxes, Duct taped shut. I have used all kinds if cages over the years and believe it or not the boxes seem to work the best. The darkness keeps them calm and if they do jump at all, the cardboard gives enough that it doesn't injure them. When I sell birds I package them up in the cardboard boxes and the people buying think I'm crazy, they brought their nice wire dog crate along to use. Well I have used wire dog crates plenty of times and almost always ended up with a bird who's head or beak was bloody by the time we got home. Everyone reports that the birds come out of the cardboard box calm and looking good. They are not air tight those cardboard boxes, but everyone insists I poke an air hole or 2 in them so the bird doesn't suffocate.
lol.png
With birds darkness = less stress.

I've found cardboard works well also. I send mine off in beer boxes when they are picked up. We have plenty of them around during Bar-B-Q season and they come in 12 pack, 24 pack and 30 pack sizes with perfect little handles built right in
lau.gif

Last edited:
love.gif
Sorry for everyone that has had losses. Sounds like a quite a few of us are having a rough year. I had a few die during pip this year, both I think suffocated after cutting themselves off from their zip. Had some not make it to hatch, pretty sure it was humidity problems after doing eggtopsy's. I've found that lower humidity seems to work best for me. I usually do about 45-50 until the last 2-3 days but i was trying 50-60 and seemed to have a lot of problems with it. Doing the lower humidity again and the chicks are just popping right out. I had one die of yolk sack infection a few weeks ago. I waited too long I think before trying to help him. Kathy was really really awesome and helped me learn how to tube feed but it was just too late. Hopefully if it happens again I will catch it in time.

My current batch. All the other batches went off to the families that had been waiting for them.

Here are the ones from my silver pied girls and blackshoulder male. They all have a white spot on their heads.

Slartibartfast

Zaphod and his buddies.

I had a chick decide to take the scenic route when he zipped, went all the way around the long way.

I've found cardboard works well also. I send mine off in beer boxes when they are picked up. We have plenty of them around during Bar-B-Q season and they come in 12 pack, 24 pack and 30 pack sizes with perfect little handles built right in
lau.gif
Pretty chicks, if i may ask what the white spot on their heads means?

love.gif

Slartibartfast

Zaphod and his buddies.

lau.gif

Yes, we too have sent many a Peacock off into the world in a Corona Box.
big_smile.png
Lovely batch of chicks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom