2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Leucism: a genetic mutation that creates a lack of pigment in the coat or plumage but not the eyes or skin. That may not be the exact definition word for word but it's roughly what it is. White Foal syndrome were a foal that is an actual white horse dies within rather a few days or a few months most common in paints but rare. Also all of your peachicks are really cute and beautiful.

@KsKingBee , are those the four that hadn't pipped on day 29?

-Kathy

Oh no, those are my first three hatchlings and a purple peahen (Sweepea) I bought a couple of weeks before they hatched.

This is day 30 and I just candled again and I can still see slight movement in the remaining three eggs. The fourth one that I had made an inspection hole in yesterday I had thought expired so I chipped away the top of the egg and opened the membrane to look at the chick. There was no real bleeding just a very little bit of redness along the cut/tear. Then the chick moved,
ep.gif
using a Q-tip I lifted out the wing to allow air to the beak and dried the area with the cotton. By the time I had done that there was no more movement.

Leucism: a genetic mutation that creates a lack of pigment in the coat or plumage but not the eyes or skin. That may not be the exact definition word for word but it's roughly what it is. White Foal syndrome were a foal that is an actual white horse dies within rather a few days or a few months most common in paints but rare. Also all of your peachicks are really cute and beautiful.
LWO also occurs in mini horses and I believe there is a DNA test one can do.

-Kathy

LWO isn't that rare since Overo genes are bred into so many of the other types of Paints these days. So it's actually quite a significant risk when breeding any type of Paint horses and even solid colored breeding stock, out of Paints. Basically any horse with Paint breeding in it's bloodline can be a carrier of LWO, but it takes a copy of the LWO gene from each parent for it to be lethal to the foal.

UC Davis here in CA offers LWO testing.

Oh no, those are my first three hatchlings and a purple peahen (Sweepea) I bought a couple of weeks before they hatched.

This is day 30 and I just candled again and I can still see slight movement in the remaining three eggs. The fourth one that I had made an inspection hole in yesterday I had thought expired so I chipped away the top of the egg and opened the membrane to look at the chick. There was no real bleeding just a very little bit of redness along the cut/tear. Then the chick moved,
ep.gif
using a Q-tip I lifted out the wing to allow air to the beak and dried the area with the cotton. By the time I had done that there was no more movement.

Sorry to hear about that one. No other internal pips I take it? The first 4 are beautiful.
love.gif

Sorry to hear about that one. No other internal pips I take it? The first 4 are beautiful.
love.gif

Thank you. It's day 31 and no internal pips in the last three but still see a little movement. I read somewhere to wait four days after due date to pitch the eggs, I guess this is why.

Need to sanitize the hatcher for the next group due on the 25th, keep your fingers crossed. This time I am going to set them in egg cartons like others do on this thread.

This is my first year with our peacock Rio and our peahen Jewel. They are 3 years old and Jewel just laid her first 2 eggs. I'm not sure she is sitting on them enough. How long should she be off them ?

This is my first year with our peacock Rio and our peahen Jewel. They are 3 years old and Jewel just laid her first 2 eggs. I'm not sure she is sitting on them enough. How long should she be off them ?

Peahens will generally lay a clutch of approx. 5- 8 eggs, they normally lay an egg every other day. During the time they are laying the eggs they may do a little practice sitting on the eggs, but they usually do not stay put. Once all the eggs from the clutch are laid they will then sit and stay sitting, if they feel broody that is. If they do feel broody and sit tight they will usually get off the eggs once or twice a day to eat, drink, go to the bathroom and stretch their legs, 10-15 minutes at the most.

Back
Top Bottom