2014 breeding season begins, post your results

So pretty
love.gif

Thanks to both of you!

This is what i wrote 2 weeks ago, i thought this chick is either spalding pied(from the spalding pied hen) or bronze silver pied(coming from the bronze white eye hen), and today 4 chicks hatched from this pen, one of the eggs was from the bronze white eye hen, i knew that because i was there when she laid her egg so i marked the egg with *bronze w/e*, and guess what the chick hatched from this egg is Bronze silver pied
wee.gif
, here its:

Another chick from this hatch, spalding pied split bronze:

Very nice!
clap.gif
My little bronze with the white flights is out of a bronze bs male and a bronze white eye split pied hen.

Egg experiment... We got a Janoel 48 incubator to use as a hatcher, but I'm going to cram it full of pea eggs, many of which are quite old, and see what happens. :D

Keeping the humidity where I want it will be interesting, lol.

-Kathy

I feel your pain.  :hugs   My hatches have been horrible too.  I don't think I have had better than 10% hatch rate so far this year, maybe lower. :hit   Right now I am on day 29, I candled 20 eggs going into the hatcher, all alive, and I haven't seen a pip yet.  I have the same new Sportsman you do, the eggs lay on their sides in the turner, I keep the humidity at 60%, I use a hatcher kept at 75% @ 99.5 degrees.  This time I set the eggs in egg cartons in the hatcher just to try something different than what I have been doing.  Everything else hatches out fine, I am at a loss too, sorry to hear that this is so prevalent this year for most of us.

On this hatch I even weighed the eggs going in and coming out of the incubator and had the normal 15% weight loss average.

However there may be a reason for most of my woes.  I have been battling a bacterial infection in my peas this spring, it may very well be that the hens are stressed and that is affecting the hatch rate. 

My to my two Peachicks are doing well. Next group goes into lockdown tomorrow. Candled them a few days ago and had 2 quitters and 1 clear, rest all looked good. I'll check them for movement when I put them in the hatcher.

Eggzactly what DW said to do.  I did find a conversation on Old English Game Bird Society forum from 2012 where someone said if you use Clorox or Lysol to be sure to let it air out like you do before putting eggs in.  They thought that Ozine or Tec-Trol were the best things to sterilize with, I'm not sure why we didn't use the Tek-Trol to begin with, we use it a lot anyway.  I understand that one of the biggest hatchers in my area who hatches tens of thousands of eggs per year, washes all his eggs and coats them with Tek-Trol before setting them to kill any bacteria on the eggs.

Yeah, I think I can take the blame for this one, I can still smell the Lysol in the hatcher and it's been six days. :rant  The duck eggs that were in the hatcher faired a little better and the guineas hatched 100%, but not a pip from the Peas.  I am thinking that the guineas hatched two days earlier and have a thicker shell so they were not affected.  My learning curve really sucks.  :he

This weeks batch is due to go into the hatcher Saturday for a Monday hatch, (DylansMom has two eggs in that batch), and the eggs that I would have set in the incubator went under three broody FBCs.  Tec-Trol is my new best friend.

This is just not a good year!! Sorry for your losses.

The whole reason I bought the hatcher was to not have to constantly adjust the humidity when hatching in my incubator. Last year I though my air cells were not getting big enough due to high humidity during the weekly lockdown stage in the sportsman incubator/hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom