2014 breeding season begins, post your results

My fingers are crossed for your next batch!
fl.gif

I owe you for an egg!
wee.gif

Since I have NEVER seen my peas mate I cant really figure it by myself
barnie.gif
I had my white boy with a white and a Ib hen but the IB hen got a little aggresive with my White hen so I moved her to a different pen alone. They are starting to lay again but I want to know how often do they need to be mating in order for the eggs to be fertile? I will have to been moving my boy from pen to pen ( or the hens). I dont know if im making mysel clear lol If they mated lets say monday how long will the effect last? LOL my boy has a full train but his hunch or bump on his neck isnt always showing ( i dont know if he has control over it, because when he shows off you can see the bump on the neck, but not when he is walking with his train down)

Why this sudden aggresiveness? is it maybe a territory problem? I had put them 3 on a new pen I made recently.

I dont know if im making mysel clear lol If they mated lets say monday how long will the effect last?

Up to 3 or 4 weeks, but the vitality will usually start to drop much sooner... If I was rotating a male though multiple females I would let them have their night day together every 7-10 days, that way even if they don't 'do it' one time the vitality clocks will overlap, and in theory they will be fertile even if they missed one hookup...

Since I have NEVER seen my peas mate I cant really figure it by myself
barnie.gif
I had my white boy with a white and a Ib hen but the IB hen got a little aggresive with my White hen so I moved her to a different pen alone. They are starting to lay again but I want to know how often do they need to be mating in order for the eggs to be fertile? I will have to been moving my boy from pen to pen ( or the hens). I dont know if im making mysel clear lol If they mated lets say monday how long will the effect last? LOL my boy has a full train but his hunch or bump on his neck isnt always showing ( i dont know if he has control over it, because when he shows off you can see the bump on the neck, but not when he is walking with his train down)

Why this sudden aggresiveness? is it maybe a territory problem? I had put them 3 on a new pen I made recently.

I would say you could move him from one pen to the other every 2 weeks and be fine. As for the aggression, I have seen hens become aggressive to other hens and to other chicks when they are laying. I think they may see the other birds as a possible threat to their soon-to-be hatching babies. And they can be, I've had chicks killed by yearlings because they slipped thru an unnoticed hole in the wire fencing.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom