2014 breeding season begins, post your results

So.....I decided before this year's hatching started, that I was not going to intervene and help any chicks that did not make the internal pip themselves. Last year I tried with 3 and all died within 24 hours. Last week I had my 4th hatch and there was an IB egg that I thought had made the int. pip, but when I peeled some shell to check for progress I discovered a chick that was still alive but had not pipped internally because it's beak was stuck between its legs. There were practically no blood vessels in the inner membrane so I knew it was ready, and heaven help me I went ahead and helped it out. I thought for 3 days it was going to die, because it just laid in a little "hospital bed" I made for it in the brooder. The third night it seemed so weak I thought for sure I would find it dead the next morning, instead I found it out of it's bed and trying to walk on a pair of spraddled legs and the worst curled toes I've ever seen. On went a pair of shoes, and by the next morning when it's brooder mates had removed it's shoes in an attempt to eat them, it was walking around on a brand new set of perfectly straight toes. Chick Shoes are amazing things! It's spraddle also corrected itself that day, without help from a hobble brace. I am at this point calling it "Forest", a name I borrowed from a friend who also had a little one she had to help out, that unfortunately didn't make it. Forest is definitely going to be a special needs chick, it seems to have some vision problems as well as a lack of coordination. It took 5 days of lessons to learn to drink from the quail waterer and 6 days to learn that the starter was for eating, not sleeping in. But it has learned both now and is doing both with gusto, also pooping normally. I am quite sure this chick will never be a completely normal pea, but at this point there is no way I can cull it, so it will be a permanent resident, for as long as it makes it.

Meet Forest.

I
love.gif
Forest!
(I always root for the underdog...underpea, I should say...)

Please keep us posted on his progress.

OMG, what a great story!

-Kathy

I
love.gif
Forest!
(I always root for the underdog...underpea, I should say...)

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Congrats Forest!! Love your name! A cute little sweetheart with a great story to tell!

Thanks all! I knew there would be a bunch of you out there would love this story, I am still kind of amazed myself. This little chick has some serious spunk, and I actually think it's a her, but at 7 days old that's just a gut feeling and nothing more. I will definitely keep everyone posted, it is a little smaller than it's roomies and has something weird going on with the rt. wing feathers, but is otherwise doing great.

So.....I decided before this year's hatching started, that I was not going to intervene and help any chicks that did not make the internal pip themselves. Last year I tried with 3 and all died within 24 hours. Last week I had my 4th hatch and there was an IB egg that I thought had made the int. pip, but when I peeled some shell to check for progress I discovered a chick that was still alive but had not pipped internally because it's beak was stuck between its legs. There were practically no blood vessels in the inner membrane so I knew it was ready, and heaven help me I went ahead and helped it out. I thought for 3 days it was going to die, because it just laid in a little "hospital bed" I made for it in the brooder. The third night it seemed so weak I thought for sure I would find it dead the next morning, instead I found it out of it's bed and trying to walk on a pair of spraddled legs and the worst curled toes I've ever seen. On went a pair of shoes, and by the next morning when it's brooder mates had removed it's shoes in an attempt to eat them, it was walking around on a brand new set of perfectly straight toes. Chick Shoes are amazing things! It's spraddle also corrected itself that day, without help from a hobble brace. I am at this point calling it "Forest", a name I borrowed from a friend who also had a little one she had to help out, that unfortunately didn't make it. Forest is definitely going to be a special needs chick, it seems to have some vision problems as well as a lack of coordination. It took 5 days of lessons to learn to drink from the quail waterer and 6 days to learn that the starter was for eating, not sleeping in. But it has learned both now and is doing both with gusto, also pooping normally. I am quite sure this chick will never be a completely normal pea, but at this point there is no way I can cull it, so it will be a permanent resident, for as long as it makes it.

Meet Forest.
Aww what a great story, thanks for sharing

Welcome to BYC Forest looking foward to seeing your progress posted on here
wink.png

Oh my goodness I haven't been on here enough! When I don't check the site frequently enough I feel like I miss too many things!

Well right now Frosty hardly has a train left. Peep is in the process of shedding his train. He already shed one of his double eye feathers and it is in good condition so I am happy about that. I can't tell if Alto has lost any train feathers yet. He seems to be holding on to them. I got some feather fixer using one of the last Nutrena coupons. So far I would say it is making them grow feathers faster but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

I have been enjoying hearing the peacocks call when I go feed them. I am really going to miss all their calling.

I really hate that I missed all the good info, stories, and photos! I don't think I will even try to look through the 100 or so pages of Show Off Your Peas that I missed...

ARGHHH, 9 hour power outage last night. We had a front move thru and we lost power at 6:30 pm and never got it back until 3:30 this morning, Thank goodness for the port. generator, it is getting a workout this year. Moved all chicks into the garage which was 87 degrees without the heat lamp and plugged the bator into the genny. Everyone appears fine this morning, if a bit confused about the new surroundings. I will have to spend today and tomorrow making sure Forest is finding his/her way around the new pen and eating and drinking, then we leave for a trip Friday,

Bummer to hear about the power outage, it's something that has had me worried this year as well... Our generator needs a tune up and I have been procrastinating so I can't depend on it starting and running right now, I really need to stop procrastinating maybe that will be today's project... With that said we had a storm from heading our way the last week that I just didn't feel good about so I went and got a small power inverter and made sure I had three car batteries charged... Didn't need it but either way it's all setup next to the incubator now and using it I could keep the incubator going for many many hours now, worst case I load the incubator in the Hummer (that has a built in inverter) and take the eggs to a family members house or just leave it idling in the driveway...

What color genetics do you think this yearling peacock has?

He is from a farm that has 25-30 free range peafowl and they have no idea the genetics of them.

Back
Top Bottom