2014 breeding season begins, post your results

I was afraid you were gonna say that, lol. For now I say male and have named him Mork.
wink.png
lau.gif

-Kathy

If you had any idea how often I have heard that joke! And being married to a "Mike" doesn't help either!
gig.gif

Thanks for the answers I was looking for, maybe that is why I could not tell,... Because they are all three males. I kept looking for some lighter markings but just couldn't tell. When I saw the pictures of a female tho... Not doubt that I have tree boys.. I have seen a few ads for peachicks, but hesitate because I may get more males. I NEED a female. If I find a female that is a year old or so, should I get it?? How old do these guys have to be to breed?? I have read they don't get their tail feathers till two years, is that how old to breed too.?

I've had some huge hen chicks as well, but with the BS chick my main reason for guessing male is the behavior. How soon are you able to sex BS based on color, 'cause I haven't a clue, lol.

-Kathy

I know we could tell for sure at 14 weeks because I can see the picts on my computer, prob before that tho as it was pretty obvious by then. Im fighting with my computer to see picts... - im a stay at home mom now and had all my picts on my work computer - DUMB - put them on a portable little storage device thing and it zipped them. idk what to do to get them now :( I can only see picts I already had on my home computer... anyways, at four weeks... idk they change soooo much at first... Gonna figure it out n see my younger picts to compare.

Thanks for the answers I was looking for, maybe that is why I could not tell,... Because they are all three males. I kept looking for some lighter markings but just couldn't tell. When I saw the pictures of a female tho... Not doubt that I have tree boys.. I have seen a few ads for peachicks, but hesitate because I may get more males. I NEED a female. If I find a female that is a year old or so, should I get it?? How old do these guys have to be to breed?? I have read they don't get their tail feathers till two years, is that how old to breed too.?

yes 2-3 years to breed, yes two years before good tail feathers - but even better as they age. I personally got more peas the same age as the ones I had at 6 months. There are lots of breeders that sell them at any age sexed. lots of people on here and tons of breeders. I got my bs pair at 6 months from four oaks peafowl, somewhere in OH. depending on where you live you can prob find one really close.
one thing you want to find out before you get peafowl that are not chicks is if they were raised - how do I say it - like pets, like they have been handled a lot, like we did our chicks... or if they've been pretty clear of people. our first 4 were from chicks and been hand feeding them all along, they are very people friendly and come up to us when we come near the pen and when we go in. the bs pair we got at 6 months were not people friendly and at first were very scared of us. now at 2 years (and I'm sure it would have been sooner but we had two more kids... didn't put the time in with the peas that I'd liked to) the male just ate out of my oldest daughters hand for the first time today!!! sooo excited!! since we're spending more time with them this year again, they've really come around :) They used to run inside when we went in the outside pen and visa versa. now then don't run, they still don't come right up and eat out of our hands - till today - but clearly made leaps forward from when they first came.

Back
Top Bottom